A terrible secret I must admit

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

holyherbiness

Translucent Member
Apr 7, 2004
Visit site
Another question: How do gravel cleaners siphon out and clean the gravel without sucking up the gravel like a regular siphon would?

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
the syphon of the python works through the water pressure driving it from the sink faucet. It pulls out the gunk from the gravel, leaving the gravel because of it's weight. The gravel is simply too heavy to make it up and through the hose.

holyherbiness

Translucent Member
Apr 7, 2004
Visit site
Heh can always count on dangerdoll to reply hm?

Well at least my fish stopped dying because I did several consecutive water changes recently.

is Flourite a good gravel bed for plants?
Their particle size is pretty big, and even after you wash it very thoroughly, it chips away and clouds the water if you touch the gravel.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
;) I do my best ;)

anyways, I can't really say how flourite is for the bed, I'm new to plants myself believe it or not (been in the aqua hobby for just about 25 years). I've heard nothing but good about it though. I use Laterite mixed in with my regular gravel in one of my 55's and mixed in with sand on a nicely planted 10 gallon. I 'll say though that the sanded one is taking off a lot better but I contribute that to the lighting. Have you tried laterite rather than flourite?

btw.... I'm confused as to why the others here are saying you've got some big fish..... :confused: what's everyone referring to?

Last edited:

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
The original post has been edited, but it said they had arrowanas, koi, goldfish, and tropicals. I took it to mean they were all in the same tank.....guess I misunderstood though.

Anyway, flourite is an excellent substrate for plants. Rinse it well beforehand to remove most of the sediment that will cloud the water. If you plan on adding it to an existing tank, it would cause some cloudiness when you add it. If you are setting up a tank, using a plate to break the water as you fill it will help to keep the sediment from getting stirred up. You will still see some cloudiness at first, but it should clear up within a day or two.

holyherbiness

Translucent Member
Apr 7, 2004
Visit site
Yes I was recalling on experiences of the past, but I did not specify it correctly that they were all in fact, experiences of the past and not all thrown together at one time (which would result in a very ugly aquarium)

holyherbiness

Translucent Member
Apr 7, 2004
Visit site
Wait
question about the pythons
if it draws water from the sink directly into the tank
how do you condition the water for hazardous chlorine/other metals?
wouldnt that just be like spraying chlorine into the tank?

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Its no different than if you took a bucket of water from the tap and dumped it into your aquarium. Fish can handle it for the short time that you are exchanging water. They shouldn't "flip over" and die if you get my point.

Some people like to condition the water (or tank) before hand and others do it after the water change. The choice is yours. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store