A Terrorist - Nonetheless...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Native American

Just Another Flying Fish
Apr 25, 2005
Altus, OK
Sir/ma'am, easy to deduce from that writing, but not quite the same. I do see your point, but it would take a lot more writing to explain it.

I'll do my best to keep it simple.

The world's first toll system was based on religious conversion, and strangely, it was used muslim on muslim. The sunni and twelver shia expressions of this faith have always tried to come to grips with each other, and the results were often less than desired (as perceived by either side). This resulted in provincial borders inside of countries defined not just by geography and political practice, but by expressed faith. To travel, you paid fees to transit these border areas as well as declared loyalty to that particular faith expression (i.e., the religious expression of the person who demanded tribute). If you didn't, the fee was impossibly higher. The only way through was by fighting. It was extortion.

This later made its way into the banking system of those times. Financial survival in any area was impossible unless you converted to islam, or another muslim's form of islam. No freedom of religion was tolerated. Books written in addendum to the koran outline it clearly as acceptable.

Soulmanure said:
terrorism as a concept wasn't introduced until the Jacobin Reign of Terror.
As taught in your high school European history class, this is correct. As acknowledged by historians way better than me (I'm an amateur), it was in an earlier timeframe that the Ismaelis began terrorizing not just Europe and Turks by way of assassination (i.e., killing, or trying to kill any leaders who did not fall in line with the muslim faith), but also any muslims that didn't fall in line with their views either. These attempts to change the known world's political landscape into accepting islamic practice by threat of organized murder (starting well before the time of Marco Polo) were the first ever recorded. Murder became a part of islamic doctrine at this time, along with its rewards of martyrdom if it happened during the act.

It was the first time ever in history that all of it was linked together: provincial government policy promoting a single faith expression, the financial sector as an extortion means, paramilitary units sent to kill and die in the act if necessary to promote the gov't view, and religion revised by later holy books mandating that it happen this way as an acceptable means of warfare.

Soulmanurre said:
...any expansionist movement or act of war that involves increasing territory is terrorist. So Napoleon was a terrorist, the Crusades were terrorist, if reactionary, the U.S. was Terrorist (from the Native American perspective), and so on. But I assume I missed the definition.
You did miss the definition. The actual expansionist movement by the islamic push westward, north and south by moving and living in the land itself was not terrorism. It was a means to an end, the end which was to spread islam. It was difficult to use extortion, murder or threat of murder and government edict in integrated form to terrorize a group of peoples into accepting a faith in this manner unless one occupied the land. They did not have any truly modern lines of communication, and it had to be done this way. Had they lived in the land and governed and practiced islam while tolerating others, there would have been no crusades (as you said, reactionary). These people were absolutely intolerant (thank you, joe125g and Watcher74) of anything or anyone that practiced a way of life counter to or just different from the islamic way of thinking emplaced by the islamic gov'ts of that time.

Is there a modern corrollary to this linking of islam, gov't, finance, and a paramilitary force using extortion, murder or threat of murder to terrorize and achieve these goals? Yes, Afghanistan. We're all familiar with the Soviet invasion, and their subsequent costly, bloody eviction by the mujahadeen. Now I'm going to run quickly here and simplify events for space constraints. What most laymen like us in the west are not familiar with is how the mujahadeen, taking control governmentally, extorted and murdered anybody within their own borders who did anything outside of the bounds of islamic faith (using the mujahadeen's own restricted and draconian interpretation of islam). For example (one of many), 60% of Afghanistan's teachers and advanced educators were women, and this did not fall within the bounds of islam at all...it had to stop, or death was the alternative. The Taliban came into existence, and eventually power, not agreeing w/ the mujahadeen. As it turned out, freedoms promised did not happen after this change of power...instead, more death or threat of death if their own islamic principles were not followed, and these were even more restrictive. In short, it didn't have anything to do with the Taliban expanding its control over the whole of Afghanistan so much as to what they did with it once they got it, and that was expressing intolerance of different views and practices of any sort by administering terror acts (murder) to get people to comply with their way of thinking. To the Taliban, it was an acceptable means of warfare as well. They didn't view the airliners flying into the WTC as any different, either.

This is an example of a gov't mandating a form of religion (pre-9/11 Afghanistan) versus a gov't accepting the principles of a religion in governmental practice (Jordan is a good example).

Post-crusades, contrary to popular belief, many centers of islamic faith still existed over the whole of Europe. The overriding change was the removal of islamic government, financial system, and their paramilitary and thus the terror by organizationally-sponsored extortion and murder they promoted. Religion still wasn't "free" in the true sense of the word (we would have to wait for people to protest entrenched dogma later on, i.e., the protestant movement), but IMHO this situation beat the intolerance=death alternative that was removed.

My head hurts. It's easier to use a white board and dry erase markers.

v/r, N-A

Last edited:

Soulmanure

Soulmanure
Jan 27, 2005
San Francisco
Native American said:
As taught in your high school European history class, this is correct. As acknowledged by historians way better than me (I'm an amateur), it was in an earlier timeframe that the Ismaelis began terrorizing not just Europe and Turks by way of assassination (i.e., killing, or trying to kill any leaders who did not fall in line with the muslim faith), but also any muslims that didn't fall in line with their views either. These attempts to change the known world's political landscape into accepting islamic practice by threat of organized murder (starting well before the time of Marco Polo) were the first ever recorded. Murder became a part of islamic doctrine at this time, along with its rewards of martyrdom if it happened during the act.
I think I misspoke—I meant to say that the first actual use of the term “terrorism” is found during the Reign of Terror. There may be other periods where similar actions happened, but the word does not hit the scene until then. However, I'd be interested in reading these sources that you mention. Could you list some of the authors and their works? My understanding of Saladin was that he was a rather chivalrous ruler, so much so that some Europeans praised his actions and abilities to allow multi-faith communities exist within his borders, not to mention his treatment of enemies on the battlefield. But I do not claim an extensive knowledge here and would seriously like to expand it—more sources would be seriously welcome!

Native American said:
You did miss the definition. The actual expansionist movement by the islamic push westward, north and south by moving and living in the land itself was not terrorism. It was a means to an end, the end which was to spread islam. It was difficult to use extortion, murder or threat of murder and government edict in integrated form to terrorize a group of peoples into accepting a faith in this manner unless one occupied the land. They did not have any truly modern lines of communication, and it had to be done this way. Had they lived in the land and governed and practiced islam while tolerating others, there would have been no crusades (as you said, reactionary). These people were absolutely intolerant (thank you, joe125g and Watcher74) of anything or anyone that practiced a way of life counter to or just different from the islamic way of thinking emplaced by the islamic gov'ts of that time. Is there a modern corrollary to this linking of islam, gov't, finance, and a paramilitary force using extortion, murder or threat of murder to terrorize and achieve these goals? Yes, Afghanistan.
Got ya. So the definition centers on a particular means to a particular end; coercion, violence, threat of violence, and murder define terrorism proper insofar as it tries to impose a certain viewpoint or Weltanschauung on a people. In that sense, I would also site the European colonization of Africa and Middle Eastern countries. The movie The Battle of Algiers gives a terribly vivid depiction of the manner in which the French occupiers utilized terrorism as a means of keeping the Algerian population in check (obviously, it didn't work out in the end). As well, Franz Fanon's Wretched of the Earth provides a rather brutal examination of French terrorism.

Grazi--oh, and I'm a dude.

Native American

Just Another Flying Fish
Apr 25, 2005
Altus, OK
The author of the most authoritative work is British-born, and the book is titled "The Assassins", and I think the author's surname was Lewis. I believe the subtitle was "A Radical Islamic Sect" (this I'm not sure on). It took a bit of thought of thought to write that opus, as I had to do this all from memory (2-1/2 years after reading this stuff...wish I could have pulled off that feat in college.... :thud: ). I picked it up originally thinking it was a short murder mystery, believe it or not. It is a pretty dry read, but logically laid out. It isn't until later in the book that Lewis reveals the historical origin for the name of his book, which leads me to believe it was originally a series of research papers turned into a book and given a fancy title to move it at book stores (this is a guess). A fellow RAF officer left it when he rotated out. I'm still trying to find a place to buy more, as I've got more than a few friends who are interested in it. It is heavily referenced, and as a bonus, actually has photographs of Ismaeli castles in Syria. To my knowledge, these are not complete ruins, but are still standing examples of period architecture.

EDIT: Disregard! This book is in print again!

The Assassins

Accompanying that was another book published by an islamic publishing house, but translated in English which for the life of me, I cannot recall the exact title other it was something to the effect of "Parallels between islam and Christianity". My biggest recollection was their use of "The Believer's Bible" (I've never heard of it; they never used any other translations such as the NIV, NASV, ASB, etc) in a really strange chain reference sort of way (i.e., out of context without using proper chain referencing methods) to show why practioners of islam are justified in their actions agasinst unbelievers of their faith. Really bizarre form of circular reasoning in using Christian scripture to arrive at the reasons why the integration of gov't, paramilitary, and finance and terror to further islam is perfectly acceptable, even against Christians (you can see just by title and result why it is circular in nature).

If you ever find a place that still sells The Assassins, new or used, I'd like to know, because I tried shortly after leaving the Gulf. I left these for my replacement, which was a huge mistake, as I've had no success in finding any for sale, even on Amazon (haven't checked recently, though) There's not a lot of books out there other than this work and papers referencing what Marco Polo brought back when he referenced "The Old Man of the Mountain", who probably was the Ismaeli sect's leader.

As an extra note, the Ismaelis were active prior to the 11th century, before the first crusade, but their activity actually increased exponentially during the first crusade.

Couldn't tell gentleman or lady from the avatar, so I had to give an appropriately neutral greeting. ;)

And agreed, Saladin was a notable ruler and warrior. He held other leaders in esteem and respect, from what I have read. The Ismaelis held him in contempt for his separation of islam from governmental edict, and I think they tried to kill him for this "violation of principle".

v/r, N-A

Last edited:

Soulmanure

Soulmanure
Jan 27, 2005
San Francisco
Ok,
so I've read up on the Ismaelis a bit. Interestingly enough, the Guardian article you posted indicates that they weren't the first politico-religious sect:

The forces of mysticism, passion and violence have always been a volatile combination, inspiring murderous sects throughout history. The Kali-worshipping Indian Thugs strangled an estimated 1m souls before Captain Sleeman stopped them in the 1830s (his account of how it was done ought to be compulsory reading for anti-terrorism agents). The origins of that cult are unknown, though there is evidence that they lay in eighth-century Persia. It was there, in 1090, that a missionary by the name of Hasan-i Sabbah set up shop in Alamut, a remote stronghold in the mountains south of the Caspian Sea.​

It seems to me, then, that while the Ismaelis were a fairly horrid group who have provided a sort of mythological imago for some present radical Islamic people, and clarify me if I'm wrong here, they didn't achieve hegemonic control; rather, it appears that they utilized guerilla tactics precisely because they didn't have the numbers to fight otherwise. What made them more gruesome is the extent and manner of their methods (though we can find examples of this sort all throughout history, which is why, I think, Hobbes designated apolitical life as nasty, brutish, and short.)

In any case, I think the thought that has been ticking in the back of my mind is this: though there is an extremist historical vein that is now being mined by extremist Islamic groups, this does not therefore mean, and I don’t believe that you made this argument, that all Muslim people follow this way of thinking which, as you point out, is a perversion of the original text, nor is it necessary that they must precisely because it is a sect which has denigrated the original text.

Another thought that ticks: how does one fight a means if one does not alter the motivation for it? Historically, fighting guerilla wars has been nearly impossible. This is, in part, why the Americans, many of the Middle Eastern and African countries, the Vietnamese, and so on won out against nations much larger and more powerful than them. I just don’t see how we can win a war on a method, unless there is a clear historical precedent for such a move. Furthermore, if we can’t destroy a method of action, then the only other move is to destroy its motivation, and this would mean trying to eradicate an idea which, as history present and past would seem to indicate, is like pouring gasoline on fire.

Still, I want to keep looking into this subject--it is the center of such a maelstrom that clarity is precious because rare.

Anyway, Bernard Lewis' book is available on Amazon now, which means you can probably get it anywhere.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Thanks for moving this thread to a less inflammatory level, guys. This thread so violates the rules for posting in GCC, but it's nice to see some people can keep a discussion civil.

We'll see how long it stays.

Native American

Just Another Flying Fish
Apr 25, 2005
Altus, OK
Soulmanure said:
In any case, I think the thought that has been ticking in the back of my mind is this: though there is an extremist historical vein that is now being mined by extremist Islamic groups, this does not therefore mean, and I don’t believe that you made this argument, that all Muslim people follow this way of thinking which, as you point out, is a perversion of the original text, nor is it necessary that they must precisely because it is a sect which has denigrated the original text.
You're correct...I didn't make that argument, or even try to. Just look at what is going on in Britain right now. There is a huge rift between law-abiding citizens practicing islam versus those who view it as intertwined with gov't, paramilitary directive, and so forth (like the huge assemblies of protesters who threatened bloodshed on UK soil...and then it happened with the bus and tube attacks).

However, the excuses for atrocity are not a perversion of the original text (according to islamic scolars who tout the authenticity of the s.a.b.,-->). The koran was lacking in so many areas that another book had to be published from collections taken centuries later: the sahih al-bukhari (i.e., the koran is not a stand-alone document). Where the koran states the steps that must be taken with and against unbelievers (infidels) in somewhat strange terms (but some gruesome nonetheless), with no mention of reward, the s.a.b. renders the greater details on how to accomplish it, and the number of virgins one receives in paradise for dying for this accomplishment...along with the rivers of alcohol and so forth. Basically, the items a young man can't do or have (defile numerous virgins, drink lots of alcohol) become attainable and acceptable as reward in perpetuity according to this collection, and one can assure this result by engaging in its outlined methods of warfare against unbelievers. Killing unbelievers is one of those ways, and dying for it is supposed to be even better. In short, no real reasons for living outlined here, but plenty of reasons to die.

I do not understand the chronology present in the koran (I can't find one!), and therefore reject it. I'm not a scholar of ancient texts by any means, but if islamic scholars can't agree on a timeline of events in whole or even in parts, how can the common man do so?

The s.a.b. came about around 850 A.D., but took some time to circulate throughout the whole of the islamic world. How long is up to debate and more research. Lewis's book documents clearly how the Ismaeli's had already used this to effect (before widespread acceptance of the s.a.b) with brainwashing techniques to obtain a soldier for their cause who could be stopped only by death...they were undeterred by mere threat of death. These techniques are still used today in lesser form to raise the suicide bombers of tomorrow.

In short, there is no perversion of any original text (according to islamic scholars who claim a high degree of knowledge; our opinions I feel differ wildly from that); the s.a.b. is actually considered an authentic document by nearly all muslims and their supporting scholars.

However this buttresses your point on altering motivation (how do we do it against entrenched doctrine, a.k.a. dogma?). On the other hand, this "extremist" thought is not just being currently employed by a small number of terrorists in recent times. We Americans are so blind to terror motivated by this fairly widespread vein of thinking that we really didn't acknowledge that it has been motivation for a long running series of events until 9/11. Only then did we began to look at it in its proper context (motivation to perpetuate terrorism). What we now consider "extremist" after 9/11 is simply our incorrect opinion according to islamic doctrine, because there it is both accepted and directed.

Soulmanure said:
It seems to me, then, that while the Ismaelis were a fairly horrid group who have provided a sort of mythological imago for some present radical Islamic people, and clarify me if I'm wrong here, they didn't achieve hegemonic control; rather, it appears that they utilized guerilla tactics precisely because they didn't have the numbers to fight otherwise. What made them more gruesome is the extent and manner of their methods
Correct! They couldn't gain hegemonic control, but their methods did. They were the first to use it all in this incredible integrated fashion, which alarmingly, Al Q'aeda has mirrored so well. Lewis uses islamic sources to outline the escalation of the struggle between shia' and sunni expressions, and curiously enough, this happened about the time that access to the s.a.b. began to be more widespread, along w/ spreading legend of Ismaeli "accomplishments" (they did take a fair amount of territory despite their size).

This all brings about a two-faced dilemma for practicing islamists desiring peace...this warfare by terror against unbelievers is clearly directed as a must-do item in this "authentic collection" (not my words) of islamic doctrine. First face of the dilemma: Who is correct? The people who choose peace and to quietly practice the islamic faith? Or the terrorists? The answer, unfortunately, is that these doctrinal sources completely justify the terrorists; the quiet practitioners won't see the promised reward (nor do I think that they would care for the type of reward mentioned in the s.a.b.). The second face of the dilemma: Reject the s.a.b. or not? To do so causes reliance only on the koran, which is not a stand-alone document; w/out the s.a.b., there is theologic collapse, but with it, justification for horrific acts that peaceful islamists can't stomach. It's a no-win situation from my viewpoint.

It also brings out a serious shortcoming in islamic doctrine from the living and rewards standpoint: What about women on planet Earth? I don't like the koran's answers, or the s.a.b.'s.

And I see that Bernard Lewis has yet another book in the offing. If I ever get time to read it..... :read:

v/r, N-A

Last edited:

Native American

Just Another Flying Fish
Apr 25, 2005
Altus, OK
mogurnda said:
Thanks for moving this thread to a less inflammatory level, guys. This thread so violates the rules for posting in GCC, but it's nice to see some people can keep a discussion civil.

I read more than I should (rather than trust the internet wholly; but I do enjoy that which I gain on Aquaria Central!).

Knowledge gained from reputable sources sure helps keep conversations civil. Books definitely are not out of date, yet!

v/r, N-A

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Native American said:
I read more than I should (rather than trust the internet wholly; but I do enjoy that which I gain on Aquaria Central!).

Knowledge gained from reputable sources sure helps keep conversations civil. Books definitely are not out of date, yet!

v/r, N-A
Perhaps this site has a lot of truth to it. After 10,000 hours of research - there must be something to it...
http://www.prophetofdoom.net/
http://www.prophetofdoom.net/response_sitedown.html

This post is not directed at 'religion', but its informative content.

In depth study has been done on the subject.

Native American

Just Another Flying Fish
Apr 25, 2005
Altus, OK
mogurnda said:

D'oh, I knew this was there...it slipped my mind; I did actually read it a short while back in the guidelines:

Please keep religious and political threads out of GCC (and AC for that matter) until we figure out what to do with them.

My apologies. Full stop, now.

v/r, N-A

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store