A WWW of misinformation

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cztardust

AC Members
Sep 1, 2016
Believe it or not, people operated aquariums far before the advent of the WWW. I can't say it was better in the old days, but the source of information was usually the public library or the LFS. Most of us that lived out of town were stuck with the library and the trick was to look at the author and date the book was published. I remember a book titled something close to "Modern Home Aquariums" from the library. It was dated in the 1950's Lol
Nowadays, the WWW has made information instantaneous. It's really quite amazing. We can look up or submit an article in the blink of an eye.
Yesterday I spotted Ich on one of my angels that I picked up at one the local stores and started a salt regimen. Probably one of oldest tricks in the book and I have had some great success with it in the past.
I decided to look around the web for new and improved ideas and after about an hour of two I realized that curing Ich was absolutely impossible without killing every fish I had.
Rubbish! Anyone who's been in the hobby awhile will tell you that is outlandish. Even in the days when we were running nothing more than floss and charcoal, Ich was manageable for most fish using aquarium salt and elevated heat. The only other product back then, I think was Nox-Ich and with the salt and heat regimen I never needed it.
Point is that we forget that the author of any post can be anyone from a primary school student to the local butcher who thought they found a home-brew cure for a disease (that was in reality a scrape on the skin of a bottom dweller...) or more commonly, someone who used a well known product and was dissatisfied because they lost a favorite fish that was too badly infected or infested to make it. (In business they say one dissatisfied customer "turns off" ten people. Very true, but can mislead many in our hobby. I've seen good products kabashed for no good reason.)
I can say I that have bounced around this website (even before I was a member) and found most of Aquariacentral's information pretty sound. I've even learned a bit and am updating as well. This site seems to be a quite a good source of information when we have a rainy day in our little aquariums.
Something to understand is that we can do everything right and on schedule and still lose a few fish here and there along the way. It does happen, but having a good source of information like this website is a great thing to keep loss at a minimum. Also, it's very important is to be observant (to be treating the right thing) and to have patience in treating illness.
I'm still waiting for the box of Acme Instant Cure-all and when it does appear on the shelf it will take a long time to convince me :)
Be optimistic and good luck!
Mr Ford

Reactions: myswtsins

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Couldn't agree more, Mr. Ford! (I love using your name lol) I'm 33 and have only been keeping aqua pets for about 9 years, learning primarily from the internet so I can't say too much about the old days. But I was inspired to get into the hobby from an old timer who been doing it forever and has had owned almost everything in his large fishroom! He does almost everything old school still and has no idea how to work the "interwebs" so we have a fun balanced relationship of exchanging info.

Just like talking to "experienced" people in person, the internet is full of not so sound info. You need to find the truths yourself and never take any ONE persons advice... on anything, ever. lol

I have only had ich once and yup, salt and heat did the trick perfectly! I prefer simple (usually the old tried and true) ways most of the time.

I love this site! I wish it was booming with activity again cause it was such a great place to come to for advice and talking with friendly like minded people. There are other more active sites now but even in it's slower pace this site is still my favorite for reliable info and friendly people.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I have never had ich ;)

I think the big issue with the interwebs, is that everything changes so quickly so nothing is created with any expectation that it will be around long.

the issue with books is that they take so long to write

somewhere between are magazines that have ever reducing readerships.

everything, overall, will depend on how much you trust the source of the information.

my personal preference is to get information via word of mouth, either talking to folks or listening to talks on various aspects of the hobby.

I do temember AC favorably from when I started, there is likely a part of people leaving over time and my knowledge growing that has decreased my enjoyment, I have some great friends and do like to read of people trying new stuff that interests me. I am also quite fond of literature from decades ago.

but, as anyone can post here, there is more I dont enjoy; but that is just my taste... not to mention having fat fingers really limits my ability to communicate.

Oh well... perhaps I will enjoy referring to TFH ftom the 70s to get answers ;)

Cztardust

AC Members
Sep 1, 2016
I have never had ich ;)

I think the big issue with the interwebs, is that everything changes so quickly so nothing is created with any expectation that it will be around long.

the issue with books is that they take so long to write

somewhere between are magazines that have ever reducing readerships.

everything, overall, will depend on how much you trust the source of the information.

my personal preference is to get information via word of mouth, either talking to folks or listening to talks on various aspects of the hobby.

I do temember AC favorably from when I started, there is likely a part of people leaving over time and my knowledge growing that has decreased my enjoyment, I have some great friends and do like to read of people trying new stuff that interests me. I am also quite fond of literature from decades ago.

but, as anyone can post here, there is more I dont enjoy; but that is just my taste... not to mention having fat fingers really limits my ability to communicate.

Oh well... perhaps I will enjoy referring to TFH ftom the 70s to get answers ;)

Cztardust

AC Members
Sep 1, 2016
I try to down play it a bit, but I was part owner/silent partner of a freshwater shop at one time. I had bought in to it to help the original owner, a guy named Wally, who was on the fence deciding if he was going to retire or not.
We made a go of it and I learned quite a bit from him, but eventually the big box stores moved in and we pulled out of the business just in time. I broke even plus Wally's cat who's a senior now.
Nevertheless, he passed a lot of information down and I was glad to know him.
Funny thing is that he had very little sickness in his show tanks. So many problems were dealt with in quarantine tanks before he introduced them to the general population.
He had a dozen show tanks and a dozen quarantine tanks. New arrivals were held 14 days before they were allowed to be shown and were inspected by Wally throughly before the "all clear" was made. Wally's fish were priced quite a bit higher than most, but people knew they could trust them.
The new stores introduce new stock straight to their show tanks for you to take home. I've stood there and watched them and think this is where many people get their problems from.
To me it's almost unbelievable.
I can't stress the importance of having your own ready to go quarantine tank for new arrivals. If today's shops don't do it, it's a "must have" for the aquarium hobbyist.
Prevention goes a long way.
BTW... I too enjoy reading reading some classic TFH magazines, that and classic Popular Mechanics. I thought folks would think I was mad as hatter for doing so. I suppose it's because they offer projects people can understand without a degree in computer technology. Lol

tommy d

AC Members
Sep 6, 2016
North Carolina
Camera Used
Panasonic
That's great conversation. It was nice to be able to go to your local tropical fish store and chat with friends about your aquariums and how everyone set things up. And the discussions surrounding all kinds of problems you might have been experiencing. Yep, the web is great...especially with the forums we have here, its a resource where you get any information without leaving your house. But I sure do miss the "sit down" conversations at the local pet shop. Its just not the same going to PetSmart LOL. And I do remember the monthly issues of TFH where you couldn't wait to read it and then share that info with your fellow hobby keepers. Mad hatter...me too

Cztardust

AC Members
Sep 1, 2016
That's great conversation. It was nice to be able to go to your local tropical fish store and chat with friends about your aquariums and how everyone set things up. And the discussions surrounding all kinds of problems you might have been experiencing. Yep, the web is great...especially with the forums we have here, its a resource where you get any information without leaving your house. But I sure do miss the "sit down" conversations at the local pet shop. Its just not the same going to PetSmart LOL. And I do remember the monthly issues of TFH where you couldn't wait to read it and then share that info with your fellow hobby keepers. Mad hatter...me too

Cztardust

AC Members
Sep 1, 2016
Well, 3rd day of salt and heat. Seems to be working fine. Not a fish lost yet and spots are disappearing. Good time to gravel vac.
One of my neighbors moved into the town's retirement home and I inherited her 8" pleco along with half a ton of equipment including a couple Penguin 150's.
It came at a bad time as my tank is still pretty young and I was doing a fishy cycle already.
I wasn't ready for such an increase in the bio-load.
Water tested this morning and found the nitrites a bit high so added Seachem Prime to the mix.
Not exactly what I had planned.
I like to keep my tanks under control, but sometimes things happen on a dime and you have to work with it.
BTW Plecos and inverts change things quite a bit when it comes to dealing with ich and other parasites. I've gotten away with salt and no problems, but it completely removes the "copper cannon" from my arsenal. A shame because I'm a huge fan of the UK's Protozin when all else fails.
After this clears up and I'm sure about it, I'll be looking to give the pleco a good home to someone with a large tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store