ABN breeding tips/questions!:)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
I usually wait a 2 weeks for the fry to get big in their cave. After 2 weeks, I take them out to their own 10 gallon and feed wafers or soft vegetables.
what do they eat during those 2 weeks?

do u put like tiny veggie pieces in the cave?

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
No, they eat their yolk sack and the father protects the cave until they are big enough. Mine preferred the 1" hole. The cave was about 5" or 6" long. It was enough to cover the fish.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
okay, so they both fit?

im making it bigger as my male gets stuck so often, i have to find him every night before i turn off the lights bc he is super stupid;)

he tried to go up the hole in the no fishing sign and got his head stuck...........lol

i see the no fish sign swimming, and im like, what the ???? and then i notice there is a tail and 80% of the body of my male, and yeah, its dumb, but awesome;)

so cutting it tomorrow

i think they should be fine with angels, anyways, i can put them into the 10G if they get too big;)

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
It's more like it fits one pleco. I had 2 other caves that were 1.5" and my BNs did not like them. Too much light got into the caves. A 10g is too small for a breeding pair. They're over 4 inches.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Sorry, think u misread, and i made it hard to understand;)

i meant put the babies into the 10G, as once they get like 1/2", i guess they will come out, and my angels will eat 3" amanos, so I would put them in the 10G until they get a bit bigger.

So

not making it 1", as my female alone is 5"long X 1"high X1.5"wide, so it needs at least 1.5" to get in;)

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
O haha I read a couple of times but I thought you meant the parents. I guess you can try those measurements. I had the calico ones so mine were smaller. Around 4in.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
O haha I read a couple of times but I thought you meant the parents. I guess you can try those measurements. I had the calico ones so mine were smaller. Around 4in.
yeah,;) maybe i'll compromise? 1.25"? OR, I will make the entrance 1.5" and narrow it down to 1" at the end, thinking of making a giant cave, like 10"X10"X1.25"? would that work?

Idk, but i will have the cave down by tonight, and it should be dried by tomorrow;)

anyways, since its labor day, i don't have school tom., so i should be good

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
just make two caves. one at 1.5 and one at 1.0. then they can chose.
yeah, i wish, it takes me like 1.5 hours per cave as my ryobi rotating electric saw doesn't have a tile/slate blade(they are like $10), and im using a hand saw foir WOOD!

it sucks, but i should be done soon

picking up the new tank by next weekend

AND my dad wants to get a fluval ebi for his room, on his nightstand, and im like yeat!:) shrimp breeding tank;)

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
yeah,;) maybe i'll compromise? 1.25"? OR, I will make the entrance 1.5" and narrow it down to 1" at the end, thinking of making a giant cave, like 10"X10"X1.25"? would that work?

Idk, but i will have the cave down by tonight, and it should be dried by tomorrow;)

anyways, since its labor day, i don't have school tom., so i should be good
Not sure since they like dark and tight space. Try to make it where there is a small opening for the bristlenose to get in and out without getting stuck. I bought my caves online since I didn't trust myself in making caves. I think they were $3 or $4 each. It was awhile back. Thank goodness my dad is a carpenter so I don't ever have to deal with building my own stuff. Paranoid about cutting my hands! What are you using to stick the pieces together?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store