? about Anableps

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
I would always feed mine primarily frozen foods but would also feed some freeze dried Hikari foods (freeze dried will float which is nice) and would also feed flake and they would eat it all. They are in general not picky.
If absolutly needed you could just SLOWLY drip acclimate a fish (Molly, etc) from fresh to brackish. I have done it in the past with no ill effects (just be sure if you do it watch for signs of stress and the secondary disease possibilities). Anyway hope this helps and good luck!

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
Thanks guys for all your great help.

Usually I would QT any new fish, but all my other tanks are presently being used( for either QT, or grow outs). I'm thinking I might wait untill I have a free Q tank before adding anything. I was just curious how most people(those without QT tanks) might add new fish to their brackish tanks if they are coming from fresh. I guess the first step is actually going out and checking to see what the stores even carry.

Lots of people have recommended Knight gobies to me. WOuld they mix well with the anablep? What is their behaviour like? Would they leave the anablep alone? are they better single,pairs or groups?

Well i've tried feeding the anablep some flakes and pellets that I have around and he wanted nothing to do with them. I would really like to try and get him eating NLS as that would make it a lot easier to feed him and it would be a bit healthier then only getting frozen.

Anyways, thanks for putting up with my questions. I'm used to keeping freshwater and before 2 weeks ago i knew nothing about brackish water and fish.

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
My Anablep would eat just about any floating food I put in there, including flakes. It even liked crickets. And some of the tastier frozen foods he would dive quick to even get the sinking ones. My knight gobbies get the food that makes it to the bottom. I always worried about the size of the Anablep's mouth compared to the body size of the gobbies though...but I never saw the anablep try to get em.

Here is a video I took a while of my Anablep swimming around if anyone wants to see it. Anablep Movie .avi

Unfortunately I left the tank open one night a few months ago and the Anablep jumped at the oppurtunity (literally). I had it a little over a year and when it jumped it was 8.5" long. I bought it about 2-3" long.

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
-Your movie isn't working

So far i haven't been able get my Anableps to eat anything but frozen mysis, BS and bloodworms. He seems to be doing good though and eat like a champ(jumps at your hand when feeding).

I still haven't added any tankmates as i can't find any brackish fish around here, besides puffers and archers.

loaches r cool- So your anableps got along with your night gobies?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store