Above ground pond build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
So your kids live in the back yard with the dogs! Great idea, mine all grew up but I still wish I thought of it first!! OK, just kidding, no pun intended. Your site location looks good from the photo. I gather it gets considerable shade? Keep in mind turtles like to bask but not bake. One word of caution, you will need to put some fish in the pond or you willend up being a mosquito farmer. I'd drop about 15-20 Endlers females or 20 female Least Killies in there. The turtles wont catch them as they are too small and fast.

mikeljh2000

AC Members
Apr 26, 2009
mesa az
I agree on keeping it stocked with fish. I will look into those but I also am going to buy like 50 feeder fish. Also I have researching different filters and I am curious if a bog filter would work for my turtle pond

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mikeljh2000

AC Members
Apr 26, 2009
mesa az
So I have been researching bog filters and I am liking the idea. My only question would be if I do about a 500 gallon pond how big would I need my bog filter. Also in doing a complete above ground pond what would be better getting a liner to shape myself or buying a preformed pond.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
am i reading this correctly, that you're planning for it to be 4 feet deep? ! ? that's a lot of water to keep a 7 year old out of. it also seems to be too high to easily sit down and watch the livestock. also, i would think that in that much water you won't be seeing much of the turtles. (on the other hand, they should be safe from most birds that way.) admittedly, you will probably have a pretty high evaporation rate and want some reserve in case e.g. the power goes out, but still . . . how about a 3 foot wall with only 2 feet of water?

i have never had a bog filter, but it would be practical to make this the "land that the turtles climb on to bask -- they can climb out where the water enters the pond .

mikeljh2000

AC Members
Apr 26, 2009
mesa az
I know it has been a very loing time since i started this thread, but I am once again going to try and build my above ground pond. I am going to do a bog filter. I will be getting a pond liner and using 2x4's to make the frame for the above ground pond. I also thought about using a lid on top of it with maybe chicken wire to block the dog and kids from falling in. I am going to do about 2 feet deep of water with about a 3 foot wall, like pbeemer mentioned. I am not sure how long or wide it will be, but I thought about putting an island in the middle of the pond. I thought about a cave for them but not sure how to go about perfecting it. Will start gathering materials when I get my taxes back in a couple of weeks. Till then I am just posting again to see what everyone thinks about it. I will make sure I post pictures as I go along.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store