AC fans vs. all others

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

how many of us are fans of AC's vs. other HOB's & canisters (with-w/o sponge filter)?

• AC's only

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • other HOB's only

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • canisters only

Votes: 16 16.2%
  • AC + other HOB

Votes: 10 10.1%
  • AC + canister

Votes: 42 42.4%
  • other HOB + canister

Votes: 16 16.2%

• Total voters

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
wonder how many of us are fans of AC filters (in my case AC110's & AC70's)

vs. other hob's & canisters.

for the price points of the AC's vs. all others, I don't think you can beat the performance & ease of maintenance for the AC's

www.kensfish.com I have found to have great pricing selection & very modest shipping costs vs. other onliners. he does carry other HOB's & canisters also which I expect to be better priced also.

also, another member says they have an LFS that sells every day price AC110 for only $60, that can't be beat anywhere!

poll (can be with or w/o sponge filters)

AC's

other HOB's only

canisters only

both AC & canisters

both other HOB's & canisters

both AC & other HOB's

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
For HOB filters, I just use the cheap Walmart filters - they are made by Marineland, basically a Penguin (or Emperor in the case of their biggest one) without the bio wheels. They are very durable and can't beat them for the price.

Here's the catch...I don't use their cartridges, I use Aqua Clear's foam sponges and Biomax. So without AC media, I definitely wouldn't be content with those HOBs!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I have HOB's including AC, marineland and the marineland wallyworld filters.

of the HOB's I much prefer the AC's but prefer canisters to HOB's.

here's tha catch.. I use the chinese canisters..catalina and looking for the one gunner is trying.(sunsun)

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
Hate AC's much prefer Marineland filters

CrimsonBlush

Attemping to post rather than lurk
Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
crimsonblush.deviantart.com
Real Name
Miah
I love ACs! So quiet and efficient!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
I have 3 ACs, 1 Penguin 250, and 1 Aqua-Tech (AT) 30-60 running as Nitrate filters.

Of all of them the AT has been the longest in use and the cheapest and has geven me the least concern. The AT requires less then 3"of space behined the tank yet has the largest reservoir to plant Pathos plant roots. The AT's siphon is watertight and can withstand the lowest tank level for water changes, and the AT has the highest reservoir lip in the back and sides compared to its spillway a full 2" lower. This means that there is no way it can possibly spill water if the filter gets clogged or backed-up. Also the AT is the cheapest costing at only $33 at WalSmart.

My AC 70 & 110 are OK but they require more then 5"" of space behind the tank and the reservoirs hold so much water compared to what is needed for the bulky media. I had to do major mods to get them to work without backing up each week and dribbling water. But they do move the most water and I got 2 of them free and 1 very cheap $12. With my mods they were completely transformed into truly effective HOB filters.

The Penguin 350 is my second favorite behined the AT but I disliked the bio-wheels mostly becasue they did nothing except evaporate water. Water flow and dependability is good but I hate the square two piece non-sealing siphon tube which quickly loses prime after just a few inches of water drop in the tank. The Penguin is bulkier requiring more then 4" behind the tank yet has the smallest reservoir for placing plants.

I also have an older discontinued Tetra 40-60 that I have only tested but I already don't like the tiny impeller and its faulty design couple between the impeller with the magnet which seem to ware out rather quickly, the new model Tetra 60 uses the exact same impeller. Water flow or GPH is the lowest for its class. But it was free so I have it on standby along with 1 spare AT 30-60 which I will use as a nitrate filter on my upcoming 93 acrylic tank/stand I picked up for $70.

A big hoorah! for AT 30-60

medicthree

AC Members
Feb 3, 2010
I absolutely love the SunSun knockoff Marineland c series filters. My SunSun units are running strong and I am pleased with them.

Chrisk-K

Theodore P. Charles Fellow of AC
Dec 1, 2009
Maryland
I use an AC50 on a 10g QT. My other tanks rely on Eheim canister filters and that's not going to change. Life is too short not to use Eheim :)

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store