Acclimate softies and kenya and etc

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

khmerspec

WanaBAhReefer
May 17, 2008
Sacramento, Ca
www.5linx.net
Real Name
Van
Royal gramma with an attitude! lol. If already well adjusted, should be able to feed at one particular area (a dining table) as I have done with many fishes including seahorses. You can even shut the circulation when feeding thus less leftover food decaying somewhere in the tank but make sure to turn the pump back on. Of course this is until tank settles. As far as your NH3 number, it may be on the way down. When properly done, you may not see any increase in NH3/NO2, perhaps bit of NO2 but NO2 in saltwater is virtually non toxic to fish.

Eel can eat as much as you offer but just feed sparingly until tank is well settled.

Why on earth do you have an eel if this tank is going to be a reef? Not that you can not but wouldnt you rather have more smaller fishes and shrimps/inverts (yummies for an eel) in the tank?

I know of many who kept triggers, puffers and even bigger eel such as Tessalata in 120 Reef with larger tankmates, Harlequin, Parrot, etc etc. and I was one of those crazies!

I am really concerned with the fact that you dont have easy access to sump. There will come a time when you have to get in there to service or perform maintenance.

What kind of return pump(s) and PS are you running?
Eel is in the sump with a bunch of LR.
When I was doing some extra plumbing work and dropped something in sump, I found out that skinny people, like wife who rather not have hold in wall, can easily get their entire arm in sump area, which said wife will be doing when needed ^^.

Don't know what Kind of return it is, but I remeber it was like 2500 Liter/Hr. So far no problems.

PS? protien skimmer? I have a euro-reef skimmer, which pumps like 350g/hr.
And I jsut finished my ATS so it'll be put outta service soon.

khmerspec

WanaBAhReefer
May 17, 2008
Sacramento, Ca
www.5linx.net
Real Name
Van
:cry:

Somehow one of the lights in my ATS tote fell in the water.
my sump was almost empty, and none of the ATS tote stuff was working, and the tote itself was full of water.

Turned off all electrical, took everything out of the ATS tote, and started cleaning up. Figured I'd pump water from tote into sump.

Feet wet, and standing near very wet towel, I put my left hand in water to hook up vinyl tube and got a nice long electrical shock.
My left arm is still a little tweeky, but my breathing is normal now and my heart isn't racing anymore....

2 hours later:
So I thought maybe the pump itself is no longer any good. And I put a different pump in. This time however I taped the water first instead of reaching in with my whole hand. Got a quick jolt. Turned off, and started to dump water with bucket instead.

So now I'm checking to make sure everything is still alive in the main tank. They all are, including royal gramma.
In sump, I've not been able to spot my eel yet.
Then I wanted to make sure there was no electricity in main tank. Put left hand again and got a quick shock.

Then I realized that my left middle finger had a small puncture wound. So I tried with my right hand and it was good.

I don't know how else to explain it, but when my left middle finger touched the water, it was like I was getting shocked all over again!

Anyways. Wife is super mad living room got so wet. Thankfully my house the room had tile floors, but still my wife told me to get rid of the tank. :(

I've yet to see her since she called me at work and told me what happened. Got home and she was gone already, but she did clean up almost all of the water.

I'm so sad and depressed right now.
:thud::sick:

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
If it make yu feel bit better, you are not the only one who experienced same/similar situations & becareful how you use your middle finger, a lesson there!!! LOL

Glad all are well!

Try using voltmeter?? to see any exisitng current??

khmerspec

WanaBAhReefer
May 17, 2008
Sacramento, Ca
www.5linx.net
Real Name
Van
I didn't argue with my wife about getting rid of tank, and funny thing was she felt bad and said I could keep it. Later she told me I shoulda argued with her so she would want it gone.

2 lessons learned ^^.

Anyways I'm doing much better and have everything running again.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
I didn't argue with my wife about getting rid of tank, and funny thing was she felt bad and said I could keep it. Later she told me I shoulda argued with her so she would want it gone.

2 lessons learned ^^.

Anyways I'm doing much better and have everything running again.
Glad to hear all are well!

Make sure to fulfill your duties on Honey Do Days!

Have you decided on which set up you gonna pursue, FOWLR/Reef?

khmerspec

WanaBAhReefer
May 17, 2008
Sacramento, Ca
www.5linx.net
Real Name
Van
I will be attempting to kinda do a reef with all the stuff that's already growing.

Added 2 clowns and an orange spotted shrimp goby( which I didn't know was very different than a sleeper goby, I wanted the sand cleaner)

And I got a lawnmower/algae blenny from store and an anemone from trade earlier today.

I do prefer smaller fishes. Any recommendations on other fishes?

I love how right now my two clowns swim all over the tank, up and down, back and forth.
But I've yet to seen them stop moving. Should I be concerned or is this commone? They are both perculas, but aside form the label from lfs I'm not sure. The smaller one isn't as bright orange as the larger one.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Could be percula but it could also be ocellaris (false percula). Percula were lot more costtly than ocellaris.
I dont know if your tank is well stablized yet.. You should go easy in the beginning even testing yield negative. Depending on fish/quantity/food given, things could change fast in the beginning. Just go easy!

I personally love group of six or more on percula/ocellaris with their host anemone. In 90, spawning is very possible. You masy need more tanks if such takes place.
I also loved school of smaller specimen of anthias, purple queen anthias for an example (could be bit tricky on certain species).
Look up sunburst Anthias as price shouldve dropped than when first introduced to hobby about 10 yrs ago.

Since you one dotty, would not recommend another in 90G

If what you have is Valenciennea puellaris, it should do ecellent job sifting sand and easier to keep than V. strigata, IMHO. Make sure of no opening on top as I have lost some to Carpet Diving.

Once tank is well matured (I am talking few yrs with your set unless you induce with live cultures of pods and more live rocks) to have thriving population of critters (pods), how about mandarin?

I could go on and on. Centropyge acanthops (maybe hit and miss with certain corals)

Chalk Bass (Serranus tortugarium), FLame Hawk, few captive bred Benggai Cardinals, and look up differnt species of Fairy wrasse as some of their coloration will knock your socks off.

Just go easy as this is a new tank.
Monitor NH3 very closely for while, especially after new addition! Dont overfeed either.

khmerspec

WanaBAhReefer
May 17, 2008
Sacramento, Ca
www.5linx.net
Real Name
Van
Yea, every time I goto lfs to buy something I can't help but indulge. Gotta curb it a bit.

I really do want mandarins, and was lucky that the pair I got quickly took up live foods; they ate up all my pods in the 55g really quick!, so dont trust the lfs too much.
Hopefully my ATS will pick up quickly. that way I wouldnt have to worry about pods that much though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store