Acclimating after Shipping?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
yeah.. definitely follow the "drop n plop" instructions, the risk of toxicity is just too great from drip acclimation (for fish that have been shipped).

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
its one thing often people miss..... lower ph water the ammnoia isnt as toxic as high ph water. old man has it right in that case. a lot of people also just flush it meaning adding a lot of water quickly so they are dumping out the ammonia water and very quickly adding new water. http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/member.php?u=80143

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
its one thing often people miss..... lower ph water the ammnoia isnt as toxic as high ph water. old man has it right in that case. a lot of people also just flush it meaning adding a lot of water quickly so they are dumping out the ammonia water and very quickly adding new water.
wouldn't this put the fish into shock though? Or is it less serious than the toxic conditions that would be brought on by drip acclimation?

number1sixerfan

AC Members
Sep 11, 2006
Plop and drop definitely. I know that just about all of the discus keepers do the same thing just because during shipping, the ammonia levels just get too toxic, and once you open the bag, things only get worse.

I temp acclimate them for 15 minutes and then plop and drop. Have done so with 19 discus so far. I always acclimated other fish in the past, but will plop and drop them in the future.

avionics30

San Diego Discus
Nov 18, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.sandiegodiscus.com
I was wondering when someone was going to mention what happens when you open a shipped bag... As soon as fresh air hits that bag, the water becomes TOXIC! If anyone has ever taken water samples from a shipped bag, you can see why shippers to not advocate the drip method. Ammonia is typically 9 or greater. My test set doesn't go any higher, so I really can't be sure how high it is. The low PH in the bag water keeps the ammonia at a less toxic state. Basically you are trying to match temperature as best you can. Floating for an hour gives the temperature bump. With the CO2 in the bag keeping the water at a low PH, it shouldn't hurt the fish by adding it right to your tank after an hour of temp acclimation. The PH in your tank may be a little higher, but a bump up in PH is much better that a drop in PH.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store