Acclimating Fish.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jagr200

AC Members
Oct 3, 2007
America
What are your guys methods of acclimating a marine fish? What is the easiest way to setup a drip? As you can tell Im a rookie at this marine thing. Thanks

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
The easiest method is to get some small bore airline tube, and tie a loose knot in it, start the syphon through the airline, then tighten the knot untill you get it to about a drip per second..empty any excess water as you go...Aclimating times, i usually got for about an hour for fish, 1.5 hours for inverts and corals...

Niko

jagr200

AC Members
Oct 3, 2007
America
Oh thats how you do a drip acclimation. So do you just pour the water from the bag out when it gets too full? Do you need to float the bag in the tank or set it on the ground? Thanks

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Oh thats how you do a drip acclimation. So do you just pour the water from the bag when it gets too full? Do you need to float the bag in the tank or set it on the ground? Thanks

I just sit the bag in a bucket on the ground, open the bag, add the drip...when it gets full, just tip some water out into the bucket..keeps it all clean and saves moving water...

Previously, when i used to treck for a while for something, i would float the bag for 20 - 30 mins just to slowly bring the temperature up, then move it to the bucket and crack on with drip acclimating...

Niko

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Put the fish & water from the bag into a small bucket/pitcher. If a bucket, you may have to put something under one side, to move the water over to the other side.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
check out www.saltwaterfish.com

they have a drip acclimation tutorial.

I get some of my fish from them and have had very good luck following their tutorial and keeping a good qt regime.(6-10 weeks)

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Put the fish & water from the bag into a small bucket/pitcher. If a bucket, you may have to put something under one side, to move the water over to the other side.
Thats another great way to do it too..Plus, this way, you dont have to worry about the bag in there and tipping water out... :)

Niko

strangerdejavu

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
Grand Forks, ND
I do the drip acclimation, as well. I just leave the bag in my sump to keep the temperature stable and drip from the tank into the bag. Checking frequently, of course, to ensure there is no overflow into the sump!

jagr200

AC Members
Oct 3, 2007
America
Thats the method I did for my 2 percula clowns. I took just over 2 hours to acclimate them. I figured I would rather be safe and acclimate for longer than be stupid and acclimate for too short a time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store