Acrylic vs Glass

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Heady

Cardinal Rule
Feb 22, 2003
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
This is interesting. I just set up a 100 gallon acrylic but am concerned that my 12" pleco may scratch the sides. Has this happened to anyone? What can I do to prevent it?

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002

Yes, I've heard that Pleco's can scratch Acrylic. But, Acylic is supposed to look better optically/visually, and it's stronger..

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
There are many advantages and disadvantages to both glass and acrylic aquaria. With glass, the larger the tank is, the thicker the glass has to be - and so it becomes heavier. With acrylic this is not the case, and large aquria can be made from thin, light acrylic. Acrylic does scratch more easily than glass, but acrylic isnt as affected by these scratches as glass is - with glass they are disasterous as they create a weak point in the aquaria, with acrylic this is not the case, and scratches do not weaken the aquaria. Glass is clearer than acrylic, and acrylic tanks can begin to let off a slight smell after a while. Acrylic tanks can be made into many more different and interesting shapes to glass tanks, which have their limitations. And acrylic is cheaper...

Thom.

Sum-X

La Dee Da Dee Do
Sep 15, 2001
Newark, Ohio
www.designerscrypt.com
Real Name
Aaron
They light goes better through acrylic, its stronger and its lighter... But its also more expensive.:cool:

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
There are various degrees of both acrylic and glass. Glass can be clearer than acrylic, though the opposite usually is true.

Acrylic is much lighter, more expensive, and much easier to scratch. Small shallow scratches on acrylic can be buffed out, glass cant.

CHINABOY1021

experienced newbie
May 2, 2003
Toronto ON Canada
Visit site
i guess i should go with glass considering its cheaper and the tank size i am planning towards isnt giong to be needing too thick of glass. plus weight isnt a big factor since my tank is going to be around 65 gallons. any other things i need to watch for

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store