Adding crushed corals for calcium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hydro

AC Members
Oct 31, 2003
Manitoba, Canada
Visit site
I'm adding crushed corals to boost calcium for a heavily planted 10g. I've read that people place it in their filters, but my AC mini filter basket is already pretty full. Is it ok to put the corals in the other side of the filter that holds the water when it's drawn in? I have the corals in a small media bag. The bag's rolled up and it can fit next to the intake tube. I tried it and it didn't seem to interfere with the operation of the filter. But do you see any problems in that doing so?

Thanks in advance.

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Shouldn't be a problem with it functionally, but make sure that the bag is in good shape. I had a mesh bag with crushed coral break and bits of coral got down into the impellor. It made an aweful racket (which I slept through), the noise stopped shortly after I woke up, that would be when the coral had stopped the impellor completely. The filter was REALLY hot when I got to it. Miraculously, the filter still works, but it's something to watch out for.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store