Adding small fish to tank with adult Angels?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Oiler3535

AC Members
Mar 29, 2015
Renfrew
As the title says. I've got a 46G with 2 big Angels, 11 various small fish (cherry barb the biggest), a bristlenose, an African butterfly and a Betta. I recently lost some of my cherries, and would like to add some more little ones. The Angels (gold and zebra) don't bother anything in my tank atm, but I worry about adding young fish that would fit in their mouths. Is there any way to add some small fish without them getting eaten? It's a bowfront with no easy way to divide the tank. I have a small mesh cube for isolation, but it's too small to keep them in for months while they grow.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
how about a tank shot showing decor?

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
As with the above post, a whole tank shot would help so we could see the size of the angels too.

Just a caution, the butterfly can be aggressive/predatory, epecially with small surface dwellers.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Any critter that can fit into a angel's mouth is always going to be a potential meal. That said, I've got 6 celestial pearl danios in with a getting big and still growing angel. No issues so far. I've also got a big koi angel in another tank (55g) that won't even pick-off the red cherry shrimp in the tank with him. The angel in with the CPDs is nuts over RCS and long ago actively picked them all off in that particular tank.

Oiler3535

AC Members
Mar 29, 2015
Renfrew
image.jpeg

Took a few days ago to show my kids on our class Twitter feed that Bob (our class Betta who had been in a 1.5 gallon 'tank') was still alive and happy.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Are the fish listed in your signature the ones in the tank? If so, about the only thing I'd do right now is maybe add a few more cherry barbs to give them comfortable numbers - keeping in mind that the angels will still grow, the BN can get up to 5 inches, butterfly fish get large, and you have the rainbows and pristellas to take into account.

Oiler3535

AC Members
Mar 29, 2015
Renfrew
They are now. And none have noticeably grown at all since Xmas. If my math is correct, I've got about 13 inch long fish (the cherry and dwarf rainbows might be 1.5), the BN which is about 4, and the butterfly about 3. Plus the Betta and pair of Angels. What I'd like is some more small fish that swim around the top half of the tank. Maybe even just some more dwarf rainbows, as they do that nonstop. The Pristellas and cherry hang out near the bottom.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store