adopting a new aquatic friend

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
Do you have plans to get more of them?

Sand would be a lot better than gravel, they do like to berry them selves in the sand.

Hammy & Waf

fishaholics
Nov 8, 2007
columbus, oh
i was going to see if i could get the one healthy first, that is my main concern. if i can get this one healthy and eating, then i might get another one, but i just want to focus on the ones health for right now. as of now the tank has a bare bottom, figured that way i could monitor it a lot better. does anyone have advice on how to tempt my stingray to eat?

darcy12877

Registered Member
Feb 21, 2008
that ray is VERY skinny. try black worms or earth worms. I personaly have 3 rays and they all eat tones of food. Your tank is very small for a ray and you should be doing a water change min. oce every other day bec. of how much amonia rays produce. Im sorry to say this but if the ray hasnt eaten in 4 weeks (which can happen) then it doesnt look good for this ray.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
IMHO, I wouldn't even think about getting the ray until I saw it actually eat. An unhealthy ray that hasn't eaten in weeks isn't worth anything until you're sure it will stay alive. I don't know why he wants to give you something so unhealthy for so much of your hard work (the newt tank, newt, etc).

Hammy & Waf

fishaholics
Nov 8, 2007
columbus, oh
because i have too many tanks and i like a challenge and i like to take care of things. it will be a learning experiment. going to go out and get blackworms and ghost shrimp and hope for the best.

Barbie

Fishaholic
Keep in mind that rays are very sensitive to waste products building up in their tank and you have the double whammy that they put off a lot of them. The live blackworms should help, but also raise the temperature to 82-84 degrees with good circulation and aeration. That can help stimulate his appetite. You've got a matter of days to get him to eat something at this point. He'd be much more comfortable with some fine smooth sand to hide himself in and live blackworms to hunt and eat at will. Good luck with him. I hate seeing them in that kind of shape. It makes me want to find the person that sold it to him in the first place and give them a good swift kick to the shins.

I had a customer come in my shop a few months ago wanting to buy the reticulated ray I had in stock. Evidently someone else in town had already sold him one... told him it would only get 5 inches (and they were right, I'm quite sure he'll kill it before it gets any bigger!), and it will be fine in his 55 gallon long term, with his FRONTOSA! Not to mention everything else. He actually got pissed when I told him how and why it wasn't going to work and why I would never sell him one. I sent him to MFK but I doubt it did the slightest bit of good.

Sometimes you just can't win. Good luck with your little guy. Hopefully he'll pull through.

Barbie

Hammy & Waf

fishaholics
Nov 8, 2007
columbus, oh
unfortunately, the ray did not make it to day 2. i woke up this morning and he was upside down, im gonna take a wild stab and say thats probably not good. i will definitely be going back to the store where he shops to ask why they let him have this stuff, i have gotten so many fish from this guy because of the same reason, the fish store sells him fish that he really cant take care of. oh well, one can only hope that someday people like that will learn, but i doubt it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store