Adult size of Silver Scats and Mono Sabaes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

goldfish freak

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
MonoSebaelover, I am assuming that you slowly raised the specific gravity from brackish to full marine. If so , what size were the Monos when you started this and over what period of time did you do this? I have a question, why do you say that at about 4 inches is a good size to move them to salt water? Thanks.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
I brought them up to sw in one week. Put some salt in, in the morning and in the evening. I just said around 4 inches or so because that is a bit more than a 1/4 of their adult size. Plus I also think I probably waited too long on the other batch. I had an adult with 3 babies and the adult was always pretty pissed. I also think that the Sebaes need more salt sooner than Argenteus. I don't have any proof on this theory but that is what I think.

goldfish freak

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
MonoSebaelover, What was the specific gravity of the water when you started to raise it? Also did you find that raising the specific gravity this fast affected the filter bacteria in a negative way?

moose1960

AC Members
Sep 8, 2002
Trenton, Ontario
Visit site
Hey Goldfish freak:
Keep asking those questions, I dont have to type so much :D

MonoSebaelover:
do you premix each time thouroly or just add the salt? What is the reason for the premix. I admit i take short cuts and just stir my salt in a big measuring cup, but try to make sure no solids go in. Is this harmful?

One thing I have noticed, between the Columbian sharks, the monos and the scats, meal time is a frenzy. I feed twice a day and I swear if i fed by the 2 min rule I would run out of food in a hurry.

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
MSLover - Read my post. I didn't say these fish shouldn't be kept. I just wonder whether their wide availability is a good thing. I specifically said "Unless you're prepared to simulate this for them, in a large tank".

Since you are, I have no problem. Just a general musing. Like the other species you mention, I fear that a lot of people get these fish when they are small without realising the full implications of owning them. I wanted to ensure the opening poster was fully aware of these implications, which go beyond the adult size.

Last edited:

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
Actually - do you know what 'Scatophagus' translates into English as? I should look it up...

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Scatophagus is literally translated as "dung eater". They are commonly found in estatuaries where the water is filled with sewage and waste. Scats are primarily herbivores but since they will eat meaty foods are considered omnivores. If one puts brine shrimp or the like in front of a Scat, will they eat it? Yes! That is why they are considered omnivores.

Huyzel

AC Members
Dec 15, 2002
Toronto Canada
Visit site
Ya, Scats will eat ANYTHING.
mine gets lots of protein from bloodworms, shrimp, and squid, along with his vegetable matter.
they grow pretty fast with a high protein diet.
i've actually seen my scat eat "dung" lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store