Advanced reading books...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
Anyone have any good recommendations for a somewhat advanced aquarium book? I'm not looking for something on how to start a tank, but something that offers some advanced info, beneath the surface that someone who is not a beginning might not know. I read a few articles on the types of bacteria that breaks down ammonia and nitrite. You get the gist of what I am looking for...

Plecosterone

We don't need no stinking badges!
Jan 25, 2007
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
home.cogeco.ca
I do not know of any off hand, but everything you need to know is here at AC. Read all the stickies and ask, ask, ask questions. Books are great, BUT, you get one persons view on things. In here you will get unbiased responses from people (1- 100 people) who have had or have the same problems.

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
Lol, I've been around here and in the hobby for years. I want to read more scientific books/articles is what I'm saying. I don't have any questions, I just want to increase my general knowledge of the hobby.

Plecosterone

Jan 25, 2007
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
home.cogeco.ca
Google, Google, Google everything you want to know and you will learn more than you need (Sometimes too much to take in). If you REALLY NEED to read a book, I cannot help you. I read a lot but I cannot get the information at hand like I can do online. Make sure you read more than one article and cross reference things is all. Most people like books and take them as gospel because they are in print. This is not always true because things do change. The aquarium hobby changes every day because people do things that are not in books and they have to be re-written because of some "idiot" that did not follow the rules but made things work and made people look at why.

ansbfish

AC Members
Nov 10, 2007
I've been reading this book:
Limnology: Lake and River Ecosystems (Hardcover) by Robert G. Wetzel

I was able to find it in my university's library, there are tons of very good books there, in fact, I have a couple others about nutrition and health as well.

Also, it is as it seems, basically a textbook on Limnology, it is very complex in areas without much soft introduction. It can be overwhelming at times, but overall it reads pretty good. (for a textbook!)

Plecosterone

Jan 25, 2007
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
home.cogeco.ca
Seems to me that if SHE/HE is reading books at the university library on Limnology those books may not cut it. I really do not know what books to recommend but if you are at the library and find any real good ones please post them and let us know.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
I'm not looking for something on how to start a tank, but something that offers some advanced info, beneath the surface that someone who is not a beginning might not know.
The vast majority of the books out there are for beginners. You might get lucky and find a couple decent general information books but don't get your hopes up. I've not run across many. If you want to know more more about the science of aquariums, you may have to take the leap to textbooks. Just do a search on [SIZE=-1]ichthyology, aquatic microbiology, aquatic ecology, and aquatic botany. Try to stick to undergraduate level material as this usually is much more explanatory. Once you've perused textbooks for a while you can then take the leap to "The Literature" i.e. scientific papers and publications to really understand what is going on.

You can check out many of these textbooks from your local library system or buy them used (and cheap) online.
[/SIZE]

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
I have a subscription to TFH. I think I'll just stick to that for the time being unless anyone else has something they thing is worth reading. Thanks everyone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store