Advice from Big Als

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

EagerAqua

AC Members
Jan 4, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Hi There,

I am looking into converting my 29g freshwater into a saltwater. I want to do a FOWLR. I was at the Big Als in Edmonton yesterday and received the following advice and want to hear your comments:

1. As my tank only has a standard lighting package, he recommended upgrading to a Coralife 24" Aqualight Power Compact Strip Light- 1X65Watt. Hi scomments were that live rock needs this extra lighting due to the creatures etc living on the rock.

2. He said for the size of my tank, a protein skimmer is not needed or recommended - instead regular water changes ans extra live rock should suffice. His comments were that a tank that size would not produce enough waste for a skimmer to pick up and I would only be cleaning the bucket once every 2-3 months which would lead to a stinky house.

I have been fish keeping for awhile now and am pretty familiar with it (of course there is always lots more to learn). I have being doing tons of reading on saltwater tanks and of course get some conflicting information but most sources say to get a skimmer and that for live rock extra lighting is not required. Who is right?

Eager

skippy2

AC Members
Mar 14, 2004
holland, mi
Visit site
IMO a skimmer is needed. I had a skimmer on my 20 and had to empty the collection cup a couple of times a week. That was with maybe 4 small fish.
You don't need the pc lights right away. Purple coralline grows best in darker areas. I found a bunch of purple corraline on the bottom of some rocks the other day when I was rearranging my aquascape. I upgraded to 2x65 pcs after a yr. of regular strip lights. I am not losing the pretty purple on my rocks but the purple on the back glass turned to a bright neon green.

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
a skimmer is by no means needed, but recommended. it also depends alot on what you plan to keep. if you are going to keep an overstocked tank, then definately get one. if you are just keeping a few small fish and inverts, it probably will not be needed.

as far as the lighting is concerned, although it may not be required, i would suggest getting it, because sooner or later you will want it :) it will help to make the colors of both your lr and fish stand out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store