Advice Please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gazza

Registered Member
May 11, 2004
Visit site
Thanks everyone, this is really useful.

The same things keep popping up

Tell the truth
Care for your fish
Label the tanks in detail
have a good display tank/tanks
do not try to over sell

These are the same reasons why i first started considering opening up a fish shop. It was/IS my opinion that you always gett more business by being NICE and being honest. Hopefully i should have a shop open by this time next year, so if anyof you find yourself in manchester, email me and drop by.

See if i listened to the advice lol..........

Traci

AC Members
Jun 27, 2003
Austin, Texas
Visit site
I like OrionGirl's comments about the DIY stuff. I am setting up a river tank and for all the component parts I have had to visit
1) Reptile store for premade foam background
2) Home Depot for acrylic sheets, pvc, etc.
3) LFS for tank & pump

Now, not saying an LFS should carry a plethora of home improvement wares, but a simple supply of the items commonly used for DIY - acrylic the width of commonly sized tanks, pvc, would be quite the time saver and would definitely endear me to my LFS.

For example, I ran out of aquarium sealant last night. Tube of sealant = $3 at the LFS. Went to Home Depot instead and bought a tube of 100% silicone gel (about 5 times as much as the tube of sealant) and a caulking gun for $6. Helped immensely with my project, and it would have been cool if the LFS had sold it in that form instead.

bortsamson

Resident Cat herder
Aug 6, 2003
Abbotsford, BC. Canada Eh?
Visit site
hehe, we are gonna end up giving advice to a store that would be a DIY'ers dream.
However, you have to look at it this way, it would be nice if a LFS had all those supplies, but the truth is they CANT sell it for the same price as Home depot, etc.
Those are big name stores, and have MASSIVE accounts with companies.
And then you have our LFS trying to get a piece of the pie.
You cant expect an ant to win a fight against a shoe.
Everyone needs to make money, someitmes big markups are the case.
ON the other hand, having PVC fittings and bulkheads, now THATS a good idea. As much fun as it is trying to find a reducer that has 1/2 inch at one end and 1/4 at the other, and then the box next has the exact same, except opposite inner and outer diameters, and not knowing if they have been switched around, lol, ah what fun

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
bort,
I don't even think that it's the case that lfs', or small hardware stores, are marking things up that much. Places like Home Depot are huge, they have huge accounts, huge buying power and buy in massive quantities. All this translates to obtaining their materials at a much lower price than the little guy who only buys a few each month. I'd even wager that the markup at Home Depot is higher than at the little guy's.

bortsamson

Resident Cat herder
Aug 6, 2003
Abbotsford, BC. Canada Eh?
Visit site
ya know, I never thought that.
but that does make sense
Even a small markup would equal massive profit
those B*st*rds!!
lol
I think the point that I was makin or am trying to make is that carrying the same products as a big name company would be harder to match the price without losing money.
Just let me step of my soapbox.....ok
lol

LongTime

AC Members
May 10, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
Make sure you know your area and your target group in that area. If you are surrounded by small apartments, it might not be a good idea to lean heavily on fish that require 125 gal tanks.

If you have the space, set up large display tanks that show different types of communities and put your color coded marker on the community tank so the shopper can match it to the individual species tank.

Be kind to the newbie, he is your future. Be gentle with the guy who doesn't know why his fish keep dieing even though his ammonia level is off the charts; He will tell everyone what a genius you are for solving his problem. If you make either of them feel stupid they will be to embarrassed to come to your shop again.

Stress the basics, but don't get too technical. Don't make people think they need to have a chemistry degree to talk to you.

Talk with people and try to find out what their personality is like. "Rebbecca of Sunny Brook Farms" probably won't do well with a fish that requires chopped earthworms for food. Save that one for "Ice Pick" Jones!

OxyBomb

AC Members
Mar 16, 2004
Visit site
Weird I was just gona post these questions myself. I am trying to make plans. but mine wont go through till about 2 years or so. im going to put money aside for it and grow some fish out for it and what not and try to plan out everything the best I can, and have all the what ifs coverd. what about carrying live foods and frozen foods. the only live food I ever see is crikects (spelling) and guppies/comets. thats all from me for now

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
Have a handout about cycling, both fishless and fishy, just a computer printout. It would be a useful and inexpensive way to educate your clientele. It won't stop those who are too careless or lazy, but those people who really are interested in the hobby will appreciate the info and you'll gain credibility.
YES!!
i cant tell you how many times i've considered printing up a page of info on fishless cycling and strategically placing them all around petsmart here where i live. SO many people buy a goldfish and a "goldfish bowl" and then wonder why it dies.

if you could put reccomended tank size with each type of fish, that would be amazing! and dont forget to mention how big the fish get when they're full size!

good luck with everything!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store