afraid of over stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nikki J

AC Members
Apr 5, 2006
boston, ma
www.myspace.com
Here's what I have in my 60 gallon
2 tin foil barbs, 1 is albino
1 bala shark
2 pink kissing gourami's

Can I add more, or will I be pushing it?

Last edited:

neonmadness

AC Members
Sep 14, 2006
the tbarbs and balas will eventually need a bigger tank imo since thay can reach 14".

Daudzegier

Tropical Aquascaper
Dec 31, 2006
Knoxville, TN
Go by the cubic adult inch rule. For every cubic inch of tropical fish (not inch length like most people say) you should allot 2-3 gallons of water. This rule compensates for fish that grow to be an inch to and inch and a half thick, in addition to their length.

mooosic

AC Members
Aug 16, 2006
Knoxville, TN
If you only had 1 of the barbs you would be fine. But two, along with the bala...just a tad to much. The bala will get pretty big as well(about 12") But thats over about 7 years time.

Last edited:

Nikki J

AC Members
Apr 5, 2006
boston, ma
www.myspace.com
OK. I have a 120 gal being cycled. I was going to use it to get an oscar, but I guess I'll have to move the barbs and bala in there.
The guy at the pet store said the barbs wont get much bigger. They're about 8 inches, now. Good thing i have that other tank!

So what about the kissers? how big do THOSE get?

And once I move the barbs and bala in the 120g, would I be able to get a few more fish, or should i leave well enough alone?

mooosic

AC Members
Aug 16, 2006
Knoxville, TN
I would say you could put the 2 kissers in the 120g also, and then leave it at that. But they might not get along with the barbs. They only get about 4-5" (max). The biggest iv ever seen was 6 1/2".

Last edited:

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
the kissing gouramis will need a 120 by themselves, heavily planted. this fish get aggressive with one another, especially if they are males. plus they get to easily over a foot long since they can live for decades.

the bala is going to need a 500 gallon tank for him and 5 other buddies balas are schooling fish. the tinfoils are also schooling fish, and will need a tank of comparable size.

mooosic

AC Members
Aug 16, 2006
Knoxville, TN
Come on man.....lets be resonable...who has the room, little alone, money, for two 500g tanks. She only has 1 bala and 2 barbs. the 120g will be fine.

Are you sure about the gourami getting 12"? Everywhere(including liveaquaria.com) says that the max size is 8"

Mar 29, 2007
Come on man.....lets be resonable...who has the room, little alone, money, for two 500g tanks. She only has 1 bala and 2 barbs. the 120g will be fine.

Are you sure about the gourami getting 12"? Everywhere(including liveaquaria.com) says that the max size is 8"
who has the heart to stunt a fishes growth and not be humane just because he couldnt be bothered to get bigger tanks, were not talking about time, money, room, were talking about the wellbeing of the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store