African cichlids, angels, discus same tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lobster21

AC Members
Sep 4, 2013
I would like to see one big tank full of african cichlids, angle fish, and discus. Usually these fish only pick on their own kind, from what I see, they only go after the females of the same species. I know a lot of african cichlid guys that don't change thier water chemistry so please don't say thats why they can't be together. Have any of you guys ever actually tempted this setup of fish? Or is it just an old rumor?

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
No.............very, very, very, VERY bad idea, bro. The Afros will stress the discus to death first day, then the angels.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I think you can find plenty of reasons why this mixture probably wouldn't work and finding one exception doesn't exactly mean it would be the wisest way to stock a tank...most people don't like to "experiment" to this extent with expensive fish anyways...

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
all around BAD Idea...

too many issues / differences in the requirements (including temperament)of the fish

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Jpap, no offense at all, whatsoever, but...find a discus who can live with an African cichlid and I'll give you $1,000,000. The discus and angels move to slow and will get ripped apart.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Jpap, no offense at all, whatsoever, but...find a discus who can live with an African cichlid and I'll give you $1,000,000. The discus and angels move to slow and will get ripped apart.
I don't think Jpap was trying to say it's likely, just conceding that there may be the *slightest* sliver of a chance that the discus/angels will have enough attitude and the africans will have low enough aggression to make it work. Cichlids have personalities. There's a very excrutiatingly slim chance it'll work. Odds are it won't. Probably have a better chance of winning the Powerball jackpot.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Yep, my point is that even if you could get the mix to work that it doesn't prove that it would work well for another tank. And given how prized and expensive these fish can be (mainly discus) I don't see a reason why someone would want to experiment in the first place just because there is a VERY low chance you could succeed...so trying to find one exception to the rule is a waste of time anyways.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Have any of you guys ever actually tempted this setup of fish? Or is it just an old rumor?
You'll hear about all levels of success with this setup, but remember to tank into account the maturity of the fish and how long it has been working. So many "success stories" are irrelevant because the duration of the tank is cut short by one thing or another.

Try it out for yourself, but I'd suggest lying to the pet store if you want the option of a refund lol

Sethman94

AC Members
Sep 11, 2013
NC
Real Name
Seth
People say it's a bad idea but I have 2 oscars and a angel and they don't mess with each other. Every fish has a personality. The book says no, I say just try it out. If they're getting picked on move them into another tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Oscars are not African Cichlids and Discus aren't even in the equation in your tank Seth. Apples and oranges here.
I agree with everyone in that this is not something that I would even consider attempting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store