african rope fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

acadialover

AC Members
Sep 2, 2005
seattle, wa.
ropefish

I have two ropefish in a 46 gall bowfront. (soon to be 75 ). they are my favorite fish at this point. The two of them hang out and 'dance together' in the air curtain, and filter flow. they live with 2 angels, 6 blue tetra's, two female guppies, 6 cory's. ERPETOICHTHYS CALABARICUS. is the type of polypterus that I have. (ropefish, reedfish, snakefish) common name. because they cannot see very well, they depend on smell for food, and mine feed only on the bottom. They love frozen bloodworms, and i drop pellets near them to make sure they eat. it was recommended on websites that they seem to eat better with two (?)They love to hang on floating plants, and under bog logs. i recommend them as allot of fun and very interesting. they will eat Anything, that is small, and their mouths open quite large. NO NEONS !! Enjoy!!

shin0r

AC Members
Mar 26, 2008
I'll second "they eat anything".

Yesterday I rescued 12 rummy-nose tetras from an aquaintance's aquarium that had sprung a leak. I knew it was a risk mixing these small fish with my ropefish, but any chance is better than no chance, right?

Well I just turned the aquarium lights on: the ropefish has eaten ALL of the tetras.

I feel terrible.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
will a ropefish attack an angelfish?

Phil22

AC Members
Apr 9, 2007
I have a ropefish together with an angel fish in a 55. So far, its left the angel fish alone. The ropefish is about 7-8" and the angel fish is about 4" tall.
But like others have said, small fish will disappear at night.

Hobsyllwin

AC Members
Aug 1, 2008
Netherlands
I've got two ropefish (8"each). Other than sneaking into the internal filter they seem to be doing great! I bought some frozen feeder fish which they absolutely LOVE. I chop up the fish into bitesize pieces and they pig out. We have a small school of danios, but the ropefish don't touch them. The danios stay to the upper part of the tank, while the ropefish stay at the bottom. They're inquisitive little buggers, but a lot of fun to watch. They will follow some of the other fish around curiously, but I've never seen them even open their mouths toward it. They're just nosey. My experience with them is good. You need to have a sealed tank though, as they are master escape artists and can get into the smallest of areas. I even have Kulhi loaches and the ropefish don't bother them at all, I've even seen them all in a lil fishpile.

I love my ropefish!

jakedc3

AC Members
May 17, 2010
arvada, co
i suppose this will fit into a ropefish thread:

i am considering buying two ropefish for an 80 gallon tank, which is well covered and has a HOT magnum filter, which seems like it'd be hard for them to climb into, but, not being a ropefish, i suppose that's a difficult call to make as a human.

anyway, the BIG question is the tank mates:
currently in the tank are:

2- 7" angelfish
1- 8-10" pleco
1- 3" golden killifish
1- 3" rainbow shark
3- 1.5-2.5" upsidedown catfish
2- 3" tadpoles

also, i want to add a clown loach, and a small school (6) of either green tiger barbs (ok with angels???) or giant danios, and cooli loaches.

does this seem like an ok tank combination?

there is a possibility i will be removing an angel soon as well, due to bad fighting. better/worse for everyone else?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store