Agressive Behavior

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chondropython

AC Members
Jul 11, 2008
First of all, I would like to thank those of you who referred me to Steve Hopkins at Rain Garden... I just received three incredible watonai from him. They are about 3'' long.

As soon as I placed them in my 300gal pond, the 4 sarassa comets I've had in there to cycle it for the last 3-4 weeks began chasing after the new additions. The comets are about 4'' long, so a little bigger. They are not biting at them, but simply shaowding the watonai's every move... keeping in very close contact with them. They have pretty much kept the watonai "on the run" for close to an hour now... I am worried about them getting overly stressed out. Thank god it will be dark in the next few minutes so they can catch a break.

Is this normal behavior that will end once a pecking order is established, or do I need to catch out the comets and take them back to the pet store?

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
This behavior is very normal for goldfish. They are a very social fish and often spend a lot of time chasing each other around. This is actually one of the major reason it is recommended not to keep fancies and common/comet/shub's together. Fancies are very poor swimmers and can often get beat up under these situations. If the comets don't settle down in a few days and the watonai starts losing weight or acting stressed it might be best to take the comets back.

(Personally I'd send the watonai back and get some shub's and more comets. Ugly mutation that double tail.)

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Haha, V, you're silly! Have you ever seen watonai in person? They're beautiful! Plus they only have a tiny bit more trouble swimming than comets. They really can't be classed with fancies.

CP, you're probably looking at normal behavior - they're establishing pecking order. You can calm it down by dropping in some silk plants so they have a place to hide. Or a good temporary option is to feed them! Food will distract them and give the watonai a chance to relax.

And pictures! We want pictures! :D

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
I have 1 comet I kept from using him when I got him to cycle my various tanks after they all cycled I gave the others to my cousin for her pond and kept him his gold coloring is vivid. He is very very aggressive toward any other goldfish he will chase them till they almost die of exhaustion and tear off there fins. He is in his "jail" aquarium by himself now its a 40 gallon and he seems happier being alone. He is now about 8 inches and its time to donate him to a large pond but I'm not sure how the other fish in the pond will do since he is so aggressive he may just have to stay in his "jail" tank due to his aggression. Some goldfish are just aggressive I have had a few that fit that description. And you should never mix fancy goldfish with comets it not a good mix I'm sure some have done it and it worked out but I have never been able to do it.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
I have 1 comet I kept from using him when I got him to cycle my various tanks after they all cycled I gave the others to my cousin for her pond and kept him his gold coloring is vivid. He is very very aggressive toward any other goldfish he will chase them till they almost die of exhaustion and tear off there fins. He is in his "jail" aquarium by himself now its a 40 gallon and he seems happier being alone. He is now about 8 inches and its time to donate him to a large pond but I'm not sure how the other fish in the pond will do since he is so aggressive he may just have to stay in his "jail" tank due to his aggression. Some goldfish are just aggressive I have had a few that fit that description. And you should never mix fancy goldfish with comets it not a good mix I'm sure some have done it and it worked out but I have never been able to do it.
Goldfish are very social fish, so I think there is probably something amiss in the fish's environment that's causing the aggression, not his personality. It could just be that the fish you've tried to keep him with were females, and he was trying to spawn. It could be that the tank was too small, which will cause aggression and competition. I'm fairly sure that in a large pond he would be fine and would calm right down.
I have fancies living with comets and commons with no issues. It's important to watch during feeding to ensure the fancies get enough food, but I haven't had any issues. Of course, I have an oranda - not one of the slower fancies. He keeps up with the comets fine.

Chondropython

AC Members
Jul 11, 2008
Thanks for all of the replys.

The next morning everyone was getting along fine.

I had planned to find new homes for the comets after the pond was cycled; however, Steve told me that watonai and wakin both usually do well with the single tailed varieties of goldfish. I will keep an eye on them over the next few weeks and make sure they are getting enough to eat... as of now, they are not scared to jump right in there when food is thrown in. Are watonai ok to feed from the surface, or are they prone to the air bubble problems that fancies are?

I would love to get some pics, but even after 4 weeks, the fish still freak out and hide any time I walk up to the pond. I've always read about how friendly and personable goldfish can be... eating out of your hands, etc, but I have yet to see any such behavior in mine. I have to throw the food in and back off, watching them eat from a distance, or they won't come out. How long does it take for them to become used to their keeper? Once this happens I will get some photos, but right now it is not possible.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
That's great news!
Yep, watonai and wakin are great with comets! As always, a sinking pellet food is best to fend off gastrointestinal issues, but they'll be okay with floating food if that's all you have.
The best way to get them used to you is to spend a lot of time just sitting out near the pond. Also, I've found that the desire for food will eventually overcome the fear of people! If you drop in a little food when you go near the pond, they will learn that you=food, and they won't be so afraid. At feeding time, drop in some food and just wait. After a while, they should come a little closer. Drop in more food and wait. Eventually they will be interested in the food enough that they will come over and eat. Repeat this over a week or so and they won't be afraid anymore. I also spend a lot of time just around my tank, watching the fish, doing maintenance, adjusting decor. Just being around your pond will help them to get used to your presence. :)

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
It took me about a month to win over the trust of any new fish I have gotten. But they eventually realize that me = food as Flaring shutter has stated. Now when they see me they beg for food all the time and I can hand feed them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store