Ahh! Gold Barbs driving me nuts

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

b_evans06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
Pocahontas, Ar
I recently purchased a bunch of micro sword plants for my 20g aquarium. Planted the micro sword in small little bunches all over the bottom of the tank. Now every day when I come home from work the plants are uprooted. I watched for awhile and the gold barbs bite the ends of the plant and start pulling it roughly and then pulls the plant out of the substrate. Once the plant is uprooted and floating the fish never touch it again, only when it is planted. Does anyone know why this is happening? I have no idea. I also have aponegton plants and amazon sword and the barbs never seem interested in these.

b_evans06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
Pocahontas, Ar
I have had the fish for 2 years and I have never seen any signs of breeding in the past. I am unsure if they do not like the plants, like them and are trying to eat them, or some other reason I am unaware of.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Barbs do like to nip plants. Will not eat them to the root like a siver-dollar, but will nip at them.

PS--A silver-dollar is a barb too.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
:confused:

Silver dollars are neither barbs nor cyprinids. They are characins which does not mean they are barbs.

OPPS!!! Do not know what came over me. I Knew that!!:help::wall::wall:

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
Gold barbs and rosey barbs will eat about anything. Give them some zucchini or peas regularly and see if they leave the plants alone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store