Akysis prashadi

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
We kept Akysis Vespa.

Not really difficult. They were an average bottom feeding catfish food wise, so not terribly picky.

The issue with the Vespas is that they have venomous spines, and sometimes would hang out in the plant matter near the top of the aquarium; do there were a few stingings accidentally when clearing out space to feed or doing a water change.

They also bury themselves in the substrate, so another place to be careful.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Akysis are awesome, a wishlist cat for me as well. I'd agree with Dougall here

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
TY dougall & NC! The spine doesn't scare me too much, some corydoras have similar venom (& only my husband got jabbed by 1 of them once). Do you have a guess as to how they'd be with the loaches? The sewellia aren't very shy, they like a bit of push & shove, mild chasing for the "good" rocks. Akysis are a little bigger & I don't think the loaches have spines like some. Does their venom actually kill other fish? Of course I think of scooters & mopeds when I read vespa, lol.

I wonder if they'd be ok on Eco Complete? It's not the sand, I call it very small smooth-ish gravel. But it's a lava product so, ya know, a bit rough. Actually burying for small scaleless cats might be difficult but I have lots of smooth river stones with crevasses if that might be acceptable.

I do know I may never get any loach fry again & I think I'm ok with that. I only see a fry or 3 every year or so. Plus 12 years...I need to shake things up...maybe with sawakensis rasboras soon too.

1 more reference Akysis prashadi – Indawgyi Stream Catfish — Seriously Fish so I've looked at the big 3 cat sites I trust.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
SF states sandy substrate since they bury themselves, so eco complete may be a potential problem. Could always add a small bed of pool filter sand to give them that option though. Use a small shallow glass pan or something similar, "bury" it in the substrate and add the sand into that pan. Would avoid having to rip out existing substrate and give the fish the opportunity to enjoy a natural behavior.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I only kept Akysis on sand substrate, so not sure about eco complete, eco complete (IME) has always been pretty smooth and not sharp at all

But I worry about the weight of it for a smaller fish to bury themselves.

I'm pretty sure they would be fine with the loaches; but I can't be 100% sure because of not having specific experience .

I would say give it a try, but have a plan B just in case.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I decided to just order the loaches for now. Some of my sewellia are juveniles & could be bite sized for the catfish if they're adults.
Another fish for my wish list...Slapped in the face of realism!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store