Algae Control

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
ive never heard of anything that eats BBA.. i know for a fact that snails won't as i have a variety of snails in my 29g and they didnt even look twice at it.

Riven02

AC Members
Mar 18, 2007
Well thx guys. Seems like it will just become normal maintentence to have to clean this off. The only plant it took over was my water sprite and it has since recovered. So it isnt to awfully bad now.

The only thing I am battleing now is green algae on the glass. Which is why I got Otos. So far (4 days) they havnt managed to dent it. but it isnt getting worse either. I may have to get a couple more but want to see how it goes first, as I want to make sure there will continue to be enough algae to feed them.

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
If that algae on the glass is green spot algae, the otos aren't going to be able to remove it. Some people use razor blades to get that algae off the sides. I myself just use an algae scrubber with a little elbow grease. Otos are better for the softer algaes like brown diatoms or soft green algaes.

Riven02

AC Members
Mar 18, 2007
Dang I didnt know they couldnt eat that.

It is growing fairly fast. Cleaning it shouldnt be a big deal but it seems like it will be a never ending task =( I was hoping they would do it for me.

Does an increase in algae mean I am probably over dosing ferts? I had 0 algae problems untill I started using flourish. At the same time I added more lights and CO2 though so I wasnt sure which if any caused it.

I am also wondering based on info from another thread if I might have uprooted one or more of my root tabs, and this is causing increased algae.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store