algae gel food mix reviews & discussion

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
Welcome so the only tanks I am feeding it too right now are my one community, the baby convicts, and I just dropped a chuck it with my two yellow shrimp. The new recipe I made a couple days ago (which is what I feed these guys) has more agar so it stays together better when I am cutting it and dumping it in the tank. I just pour the mix in a plastic container and then cut it into the cube sizes of my choosing and then stick it in the freezer. In case someone wants to try another recipe here is what I used.

2 tsp decapsulated brine shrimp
1 tsp krill
1/4 tsp phaffia yeast
1/4 tsp garlic
1 tsp calcium citrate
1/4 tsp collard greens
1/2 tsp kelp
1/2 tsp spirulina
1/2 tsp chlorella
1/2 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp cabbage
1/8 tsp carrot
3 tsp agar
2 cups water

This makes a nice sold fish jello-like food.

Thanks again cellodaisy!

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
Welcome so the only tanks I am feeding it too right now are my one community, the baby convicts, and I just dropped a chuck it with my two yellow shrimp. The new recipe I made a couple days ago (which is what I feed these guys) has more agar so it stays together better when I am cutting it and dumping it in the tank. I just pour the mix in a plastic container and then cut it into the cube sizes of my choosing and then stick it in the freezer. In case someone wants to try another recipe here is what I used.

2 tsp decapsulated brine shrimp
1 tsp krill
1/4 tsp phaffia yeast
1/4 tsp garlic
1 tsp calcium citrate
1/4 tsp collard greens
1/2 tsp kelp
1/2 tsp spirulina
1/2 tsp chlorella
1/2 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp cabbage
1/8 tsp carrot
3 tsp agar
2 cups water

This makes a nice sold fish jello-like food.

Thanks again cellodaisy!

Fish didn't seem to like this mix I don't know if it was thicker so too much work to eat or the lack of frozen food added was a let down for them.

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
Fish didn't seem to like this mix I don't know if it was thicker so too much work to eat or the lack of frozen food added was a let down for them.
Give it a day before you give up. Sometimes my critters are more interested after it has been in the tank for awhile. Not sure if it softens or they just take a while to figure out that it's food---I notice it more with new mixes than with familiar foods.

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
I tried that for several days and gave up, next mix I will try less agar like before and maybe stick in a little frozen food.

MoonstruckMuse

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
This sounds awesome, and is totally something I kinda wanted to try to make as a kid... as in, I smashed things together and tried to feed it to them, sans binder. Oops!

The idea of using agar is genius, and so painfully obvious now that you mention it, haha! I play with it enough in lab, for sure, and I eat it in copious amounts at home. Duhhh.

That being said, I'd really be interested. I have a number of questions though.... (and I'm not sure I'm posting in the right thread, either! Haha.)
I would like to start a shrimp colony soon, and was wondering which mix you might recommend for that (others can definitely chime in on this, please!)
What about for a mess of snails? I have a few that rampage throughout my tank, eating everything in sight... and then when all the "food" is gone, they start on my plants, haha. My mom works pretty hard to constantly provide food, and this sounds great.
Does this food sink on its own, if the gel is popped out of the lid or anything?
Has anyone fed this to SA cichlids? My big severums always need some more veggie in their diet... but they won't actually eat veggies, just aquarium plants. Haha. I was wondering what kind of success people have had with that, since the sevs have big, fleshy lips that don't seem like they'd be able to eat off a slate easily.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store