Algae, help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Agaller19

AC Members
Nov 3, 2021
I have had this tank set up for almost a year, and within the last 2-3 months it has seen a major algae bloom. Does anyone know what type of algae this is and how to treat it? And is it deadly to other fish/animals? I am looking to add shrimp to the tank.

2517C983-CD65-44FB-A42F-75C65851A297.jpeg

0F611073-4EFE-4BF5-A852-FC7CF991B433.jpeg

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
I think I recognize 2 types of algae in the photos.
In the first photo, there is some brown/green algae on the short grasses, I believe.
In the second photo, there is cyanobacteria (BBA) on the java fern.

To suggest actions, you should provide additional information. What else is in the tank, feeding, lighting, duration of photoperiod, etc.?

Agaller19

AC Members
Nov 3, 2021
I think I recognize 2 types of algae in the photos.
In the first photo, there is some brown/green algae on the short grasses, I believe.
In the second photo, there is cyanobacteria (BBA) on the java fern.

To suggest actions, you should provide additional information. What else is in the tank, feeding, lighting, duration of photoperiod, etc.?
There is currently nothing in the tank besides the grass and fern. I have CO2 that goes into the tank. Lighting for 10 hours a day. The tank does not sit near a window so sunlight is not an issue.

The Masked Shadow

AC Members
Feb 17, 2021
I see BBA. BBA is nasty. Ruthless. Here’s my tank infested with BBA and CITA Cyanobacteria and diatoms. Reduce lighing to 5-6 hours a day. Get Rid-X. I got something that is probably out of your budget range - Nano+ Water Sterilizer. It gives algae no room to grow. Anyways, get rid-x.

AE62F92E-6826-4F5C-9982-AE67B3E424C6.jpeg

The Masked Shadow

AC Members
Feb 17, 2021
Purchase Amano Shrimp right now, and they will clean diatoms pretty well, but the only known thing to eat BBA is Siamese algae eaters. If your tank is big enough, get 2-3 of them.

Agaller19

AC Members
Nov 3, 2021
Should I also re do the substrate and make it all fluval plant and shrimp substrate? Instead of the mix of sand and the fluval substrate.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I would be extremely wary about putting Rid-X in a tank.
I have used SAE to clear BBA in the dwarf hairgrass in a 50 gal. tank.

Putting Rid-X into your pond: Dos and Don’ts

Rid-X is an extremely sensitive chemical substance that requires you to follow certain rules and regulations while adding in your pond water. Let’s have a look at some recommendations and prohibitions of using Ridex:

Do’s
While applying Ridex into your pond, make sure you don’t have any organic matter in your pond, be it plants or fish. Ridex contains bacteria that are alien to an ecosystem that they are being introduced into. This will have an adverse effect on the plant and animal life in your pond.

Make sure the water doesn’t flow to or is connected to any other water source. If it is, ridex will contaminate that source as well and make it unusable.

Don’ts
Never put any fish or plant near a ridex applied area. Although it is advertised as not harmful to plants if applied indirectly, putting Ridex in a pond will be directly applying it to plants.

Don’t let your pet drink water or play in the pond. Drinking RidX mixed water from the pond or playing in can make your pet sick.

If you have children in your house, don’t let them near your pond after you put Ridex in it. It is harmful to them as well.

And if you have a fountain or waterfall in your pond, which is a very common feature these days, your pond water will splash to the nearby places causing harm to plants or other animals they get into contact with it.
from https://expertaquarist.com/can-you-put-ridex-in-a-pond/

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I see what looks like lots of dying hairgrass leaves that need to be removed. I have always had trouble trying to grow hairgrass in a non co2 tank. I had many types of algae in it; hair, cyano & staghorn; diatoms too. Try to gently vacuum out all you can. If that doesn't help after several tries I would trim it low-ish to the substrate leaving only ~1/2 inch & vac some more.

Does the gray java fern algae "crud" rub off easily? I think I would cut off the severely infected leaves , right down to the rhizome. The newer growth looks ok. There could be some staghorn too, IME cyano doesn't usually look gray, it's called "blue/green algae for a reason (really it's a bacteria). Dead or dying BGA looks red (ish) most often to me.

I would NOT use rid-x in a tank either W/O a bunch more info on long term safety... At least you don't have any critters in there yet...there's only so much shrimp can do.

Like said, 5-6 hours of lighting is plenty. I'm lame at lighting but what are you using over what size tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store