Algae in water but not on glass?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Urnesha

AC Members
Feb 7, 2008
Hey all,

I have four tanks in my office, two of which are close to the windows and get a lot of sunlight. Those two 9as is expected) are giving me some trouble with algae. I was away for 3 months and the friend who took care of the tanks didn't clean them though she did change the water. Upon returning I scrubbed the algae off the walls so that's no longer a problem but I can't seem to get the water clear.

It's a clear green, looks like underwater in a pond, not murky though just light green. While I like the pond look in the 20g tank (lots of java moss at the bottom, it looks cool). In my 10g I really would like it to be clear. I've been keeping the blinds closed as much as possible to cut off the sunlight and I haven't put on the lights in the tanks for about 2 weeks. Still green.

Advice?

kitokatlin

1.21 Gigawatts!
Sounds like you could use a UV sterilizer. They are sold at all places online and sometimes in stores. They are relatively in-expensive for the smaller models and elimiates the use of chemicals. It wont get rid of the algae on the walls bit will kill the algae spores in the water. Great part is, turn it on until the water is clear then turn it off when you don't need it.

toodleypops

AC Members
Sep 15, 2008
what kinda filter is on it??
adding extra sponges, pads etc will help catch more particles in the water.
canister filters and carbon also help with clarity.
you could do like a 90%-100 water change

kitokatlin

1.21 Gigawatts!
I have an AquaEl Unimax canister filter with a UV light. The filter will catch all of the particles but wont completely kill the spore Quite often, the pad will just house the algae spores and continue to multiply. A UV light kill the spores, when you combine them with a canister filter you get the best of both worlds. Visit http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12702 for more information.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
You can always try a FW clam to eat the green stuff.. though the underlying problem is nitrate and phosphate levels

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
The major problem is the level of light. If you can do a large water change and then a complete blackout of the tanks for 3-4 days you can solve the immediate problem. If the tanks are planted this can help put them back into balance.

Barley straw will also inhibit green water. Just a little bit in the filter can take care of the problem.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
if there is nothing for the algae to eat, there will be no growth, either way. A lot of my tanks are on 24hr light with no algae probs but everything in the tank eats algae

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
How much non-natural light are they getting? How often are you changing water and what are your nitrates at?

The underlying problem for most types of algae are too much light and too many nutrients. The blackout method will help get rid of it short-term as mentioned but I am guessing the amount of light is causing the algae bloom.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store