algae problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hacknet

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
the magnetic ones were really expensive, so i rolled up my sleeves and used some new sponge.. got the job done pretty well.

got an ammonia kit and at the moment, its around 1ppm after a 50% change in water due to dirty tubiflex worms.

is 6 really to many for 12.5 gallons of water? will it over load my filter system? or is there more to it.

sharpie

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
a magnetic algea scraper or an algea scraping pad with or without a handle is probably the best solution for your tank. your tank is to small for any more fish, and to be honest, the fish you have now. tiger barbs need a bigger school to evenly distribute aggression within the school, preferably more than 12.
cmon now if you want a tiger barb you do not have to go out a buy 12 of them.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
the magnetic ones were really expensive, so i rolled up my sleeves and used some new sponge.. got the job done pretty well.

got an ammonia kit and at the moment, its around 1ppm after a 50% change in water due to dirty tubiflex worms.

is 6 really to many for 12.5 gallons of water? will it over load my filter system? or is there more to it.
that's too high, enough to really hurt your barbs. once more, did you cycle your tank for at least 2 weeks, making sure that the ammonia and nitrite were at 0 before adding the barbs? if no, then your tank is still cycling and you must return your barbs to the store if they are to survive. if yes, keep doing water changes until the ammonia goes down to 0 and try to figure out what caused a die-off in your bacteria.

yes it is too small, tiger barbs get as long as a betta and twice as heavy as adults. they need large tanks, and must be kept by themselves unless they are kept in large groups or are in a tank 55Gs or over.

hacknet

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
the water seems alright now. water has cleared up alot but the fish do not seem much happier. i think they need plants.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
the water seems alright now. water has cleared up alot but the fish do not seem much happier. i think they need plants.
please answer my question. did you cycle your tank?

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
its in the process of being cycled. its only been a week.
then you should return your tiger barbs, unless you are willing to test daily and do large water changes whenever the ammonia or nitrites gets above 0.25 PPM, possibly for several months. it would be much safer for your barbs and easier on you if you give them back to the store and do a fishless cycle.

hacknet

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
hmm.. i think i will keep them. ive been doing 30% water changes every 2 days, i hope things stablize soon...

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
hmm.. i think i will keep them. ive been doing 30% water changes every 2 days, i hope things stablize soon...
you do test daily, right?

things will not be stable until you are done cycling, which is a long ways off.

hacknet

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
yeah, every day, or other day or so.. is there anything i can put in to accelerate this process?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store