Algea eaters and goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
My goldfish tank is a 50 gallon and also has 5 rosy red minnows. As for my long finned zebra danios there are 2 of my 4 in my 50 (all 4 would be back in there but the other two are being hard to catch)(im also debating weather to move them permanently into my 40 gallon tank.
Anyways as for goldies I have 1 shubunkin and 1 commet goldie. In this tank I have 8 mystery snails (I decide to move the 4 from my 40 gallon into my 50).
I was not planning on adding any more fish as I know im pushing it on the bioload but recently ive been having a diatom problem, its mostly on my glass. Today while doing a water change I whipped most of it off with a sponge. As to my question, I know there arnt a ton of diatom eating fish especialy those that can live with goldies, but is there something small that would be happy in the tank and eat up all the algea?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
most of the algae eaters are actually warm water fish.
if diatoms are your problem you can wait it out as they will die off in time and are generally associated with new tanks or new substrates.. you can also help with reduced time the lights are on or if the tank is exposed to sunlight.

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
The room that the 50 gallon is in dosnt get a ton of light and is usually pretty dark even with a lamp. But I think the light on the hood is probably one of the reasons.
Just carouse ive heard that bristle nose plecos can live with goldfish, is that true? and if so, do you think it would be worth it to get one

Thanks for the help so far

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Don't waste your time on anything other than a snail that would eat the diatoms. I have heard nerite snails eat them but I don't keep them so I don't know much about them (I'm not really into snails anyway).

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
I see.
I was thinking of maybe looking into getting some freshwater clams or mussels, but I decided not to.
Maybe ill get a few nerites.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
I'm pretty sure that most plecos can live in coldwater, but plecos are problematic. Also, I'm pretty sure nerites don't breed, so you'll need more than a few if you go that direction.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store