All Glass Aquariums....aren't all glass?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
shipping isn't bad if they have a show near you. they have a listing of when and where the shows are, then you just get the tank from there without any extra cost.

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes

NeonJulie

Worlds' Worst Mafia Voter
Nov 13, 2006
Everett, WA
If you want a non-frame look, but aren't picky about the actual material, Sea Clear has the clear lids and everything. Looks like a block of water sitting on the desk. (But it is acrylic.)

PDX-PLT

AC Members
Jan 8, 2007
I don't have any and assumed they were all glass. In fact they have a border on the top and bottom, thus making them not all glass.
You must be a (relatively speaking) youngster. ;)

I remembered when all aquariums had heavy, thick, stainless steel and tar frames.

Compared to these oldies, All Glass units really are "all glass".

Note also that the bottom rim helps cushion the tank where it meets the stand ('looks like even the rimless Glasscages tanks have a bottom rim), and the top rim helps locate the cover.

Mike Wyatt

Registered Member
Jan 26, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
More history...

At the time "All-Glass Aquarium Co." introduced the all-glass tanks (1969 or so) the leading tanks were "MetaFrame" built of stainless frames and black goo (aquarium sealant) with slate bottoms. They leaked after a few years, the goo squuezed out, and the "Stainless" frames were hard to clean. The All-Glass units were truly revolutionary at the time, and that is why they named their company "All-Glass".

The ability to make aquariums without frames came about as a result of the development by GE of a "space-age" RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) silicone sealant that we now take for granted.

Also at the time, many aquarists were building thier own all-glass tanks using the silicone aquarium sealant. You simply bought the pieces of glass cut to size, taped them together on the outside, and applied sealant to the inside corners.

In fact- this is a way you could get your "all-glass" aquarium- in any size you want. Just be sure to use the right thickness of glass (copy the commercial companies' practices), use real aquarium sealant (not automotive type), and use tempered glass at least on the bottom.

And if you are building a tank 55 gallons or larger- I would use a piece of glass to add a brace across the top, midway down the length of the aquarium. Allow clearance for your top and reflector.

Based on past experience- you will not save any money, but you will be able to build any size you want and have the satisfaction of doing it.

Aquaken

AC Members
Aug 31, 2004
Thanks, and no I haven't been around since the 60's :p think 80's. I wouldn't have a top on a tank like this and wouldn't need one of those "hoods." I really like the CF light strips that have mounting legs and an acrylic splash guard. Also, can't keep skittish fish or kuhli's with an open top.

As for the "support" that the rims provide, it's pretty much nil on a small tank. On my tanks it's just cheap plastic on the top to have spot to put on a cover and to hide the waterline.

I'll look into the show schedule to see what I can find, thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store