Almost got a cool piece of driftwood today...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

andyjs

AC Members
Jun 6, 2009
Ohio
If your water is really soft, it could mess with the pH, but that's a really easy fix with crushed coral.

If your water is anything like mine (super hard), you could add all the driftwood you want and it wouldn't change the pH at all

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i have a huge chunk of solid driftwood in my planted tank and the only thing it does is release a small amount of tannins into the water. fish are fine, snails are fine, and my angry lil pleco rasps on it all the time.

go back and get that wood man! and tell the lfs guy that Aquaria Central says he is full of baloney! lol. ok, maybe don't say that.......

corrieberry

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
London
If it's so small for an exorbitant price, take the fact that you went away as a Sign, and check out CL or free-ads or something. You can guarantee that the minute you buy it, you find something better.

I'm kidding about the Sign thing...but I would check around before! If you've already done this and I'm just really slow, sorry! :p

jamesstill84

Curiosity salted the snail!
Jan 2, 2009
Winchester, Kentucky
Al of mine have driftwood. Sounds like that guy needs to find a new profession... Maybe following behind parade horses scooping the poo with a shovel would fit him?

lateinningmagic

Call Me E-Man
Apr 14, 2009
New York
If it's so small for an exorbitant price, take the fact that you went away as a Sign, and check out CL or free-ads or something. You can guarantee that the minute you buy it, you find something better.

I'm kidding about the Sign thing...but I would check around before! If you've already done this and I'm just really slow, sorry! :p
Definitely check Craigslist first. I was cruising through the CL and found a guy who turned out to be a member of MFK, so you know he's cool literally 7 blocks away selling Malaysian Driftwood. I ended up buying 3 pieces for my 20g long for only $20. Less than what he was asking in his CL' ad.

kraemerwa2003

AC Members
Oct 2, 2006
Las Vegas, Nevada
www.myspace.com
I have a piece of driftwood in my aquarium and my fish absolutely LOVE it. I just boiled mine before I put it in the tank to get rid of anything that I didn't want in my tank.

My vote is to go back and get it!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
here's a hint for driftwood..petco keeps the cheaper priced ,malaysian bogwood in the reptile section.it is clearly tagged

I find some pretty nice pieces for $8-9

;)

AngeTheDude

AC Members
May 22, 2009
I'll definitely head to PetCo then. I really wanted this piece at the LFS because it was small enough for my tank and I knew exactly where I would put it too.

CEEEYE

AC Members
Jun 3, 2009
I HEAR THAT THE WOOD CAN MESS UP THE PH IF THE LIVING CELLS IS NOT FULLY DECAYED AND EATEN,BUT THERE IS A PROCESS TO TREATING IT I WOULD GO GET IT THEN GOOGLE IT TO BE SAFE.AND ALWAYS SOAK IT TO A VOID FLOATING OR ANCHOR
IT DOWN TO A ROCK

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store