Am I a girl??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Or maybe "Pat" didn't like giving up home turf advantage, nobody likes encroachment, lol. Still I think "Pat" could be a less "endowed" male in the bristle dept. I have seen more bristley girls...

jbowzer7

AC Members
Apr 5, 2008
Red Wing, MN
I have a feeling that it is a female. I have female with bristles that big. If it is that old it must be a female. If you notice the other male it is more pink.

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
My female has small bristles as well..very interesting indeed. I agree with Ash, toss a cave in and see what happens:huh:

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
They sure did fight the first day they were together. They seem to have worked things out since then. They each have a favorite spot, but they do hang out near each other at times.

The "female" is at least 4-5 years old. Possibly older. I do a poor job of recording when I add someone to the tank...

The new male will sit in his log and fan the water with his fins. That is something that the other has never done.

Guess I will wait and see!

I really doubt they care if I am male or female. :) As far as they are concerned there are 2 kinds of people who live in this house - ones that feed the fish (me!) and the ones that don't (everyone else).

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
If that fish is 4-5 years old, I'd say it's female. Females grow short bristles around the edge of their mouths and up the center like that. Males get them all over and they get huge and tend to branch at the ends eventually.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store