am I going to start a fire?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
I got a marineland classic 4 for my dorm room to house my 2 male bettas and am running into some trouble...

the way the wiring works is that the lighting runs off of a plug for the filter. unfortuately the filter does not seem to be working. the lights work fine, but the motor on the filter appears to be broken. I plan to use a different filter (I brought an extra just in case) but if I want to keep the hood/ use the stock LED lighting (which I would like to) I have to hook up the filter (that doesnt work).

if the filter is stalled/not working (no idea why), is there any danger in running electricity though it? I would be putting it off to the side/not on the tank/not have water running through it.

ALSO: the filter did work for all of about 10 minutes when I first hooked the tank up...

help?

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
I bought it from a petco in NYC and go to school in rural Ohio; there are no petco's that I have the ability to get to (dont drive, none of my friends have a car, the county my school is in has no public transportation)

I'll try contacting marineland, I guess

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
If Marineland won't help due to not having the original receipt or... whatever, you can probably pop the box open and disconnect the filter.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I see online Marineland says this unit uses a "hidden low-voltage penguin bio wheel filter".

Maybe the impeller is jammed by debris or something is not installed properly? I'd get a look at the impeller/magnet and see what's going on. Occasionally my aquaclear 30 impellers need a *flick* to get them spinning after a power down.. Usually telling me they need a cleaning. Could be something as simple as that.

Other than that, the way a typical modern HOB is designed, you could stall the pump all day long and they shouldn't overheat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store