am I just crazy?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Susan0218

AC Members
Jun 8, 2005
I took in an Angel fish that my mother no longer wanted because she claimed it was evil. :rolleyes: So now, Evil Angel, is in my 29 gallon aquarium. My question is, can Angel fish darken or lighten their colors?

He (or she I really don't know) normally looks like this:

Sometimes when I approach the tank he freaks a bit. When this happens the lighter markings on him get very black, like his tail. Or at least I think they do. My husband says he doesn't see it. Is this possible? Am I seeing things or is it some kind of optical illusion?

Susan0218

AC Members
Jun 8, 2005
You mean to say that your mother's previously normal Marble Angles fish one day spontaneously turned half black, and does it normally happen?

Not that Im aware of. But Id keep one eye on it.
No. I mean to say that when he seems to be stressed (like if I accidentally startle him) the lighter gray-ish stripe on him darkens. Getting as black as his tail then gradually lightens as he settles down. But like I said my husband swears he sees no difference. I really don't want to stress him on purpose so my husband may just have not witnessed it. That or I am seeing things. LOL

TheShifty's

Our Fishy Kids RV Too!!!
Nov 26, 2009
East.... The ugly side of Colorado
They will change color as they mature, but... Wow!!! That is a beautiful Angel! They may change color slightly based on the aquarium background, substrate color etc... And as Arturo stated when they are stressed or in poor water conditions.

Susan0218

AC Members
Jun 8, 2005

Another shot of him. Can you see the lighter stripe better? That's the part that seems to darken if I startle him. Also the bit under his eye.

Otherwise, does he look healthy to you? I was originally only worrying about my sanity but now that I've read the replies, I'm a bit concerned for his health.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
It is a beautiful angel. Looks very healthy. Yes, they can darken stripes when the mood strikes them. I would guess the vertical stripe at it's eye and the one in the middle of it's body would darken if stressed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store