Am I overstocking?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
oh thanks so much Vincenia i always confuse kuhli loaches with dojo loaches.THEY grow to 6 inches the kuhlis grow to a more appropriate size.also most of the time dwarf gouramis will eat shrimp,snails are good tank mates with just about any fish as long as you add a form or calcium such as cuttle bone.dwarf frogs,they are kinda hard to feed since they have bad eye sight.they can mistake your betta's tail for food or eat your shrimp or even eat your cardinals,on that last one maybe.

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
College in New Hampshire, Home in Maine
Real Name
Luke
Thanks the both of you! I much prefer kuhli loaches -- I had 2 ADFs at one point, one died after a couple weeks because of bloat and the other sort of just disappeared after a few months...I'm still wondering about that. So as of right now I'm happy with 6 cardinals, 1 betta and 2-3 kuhli loach in one tank, but I've just got one more question. Along with the 6 pygmy corydoras and 1 dwarf gourami, would it be too much to put an apple snail in with them? I don't know much about them but they seem really cool, but they are really big haha. Or is there just another mid-tank fish that will be fine by itself and will get along with the gourami?

Thanks again!

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
ok most likely if you somehow get a hold of an apple snail you will get into trouble with the law.cuz they are illegal in most places.why not stick with their smaller cousin the mystery snail?they come in many colors.blue,gold black,purple

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 14 Pro Max
There are smaller snails like the Nerites come in many colors and some are horned. I have one in one of my tanks and it eats everything(not fish). Nerites don't spawn in freshwater so you can have a few in the tank and not deal with lots and lots of snails! But I would just up the school of pygmy cories, they are tiny(I have 5 in a 5g), maybe add 4+ more if you could and leave it at that. From what I learn of my Pygmies, they stay mid-level mostly and rest on the bottom.

But I would switch the cardinals for neons or ember tetras, lowers bio-load of the tank.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
cardinals have a bigger bio load then neons?i always thought it was the other way around.

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
College in New Hampshire, Home in Maine
Real Name
Luke
Awesome, but I've got just ONE more question. Sorry, I'm so indecisive!

Instead of the dwarf gourami with the pygmy cories, is there any other fish that would do well? I'd like to stay away from tetras in this one, but I'd be open to a small school of something else maybe. I've been told that GBR and both opaline and pearl gouramis wouldn't do well in a 10 gallon, which is disappointing because they're all so pretty. What about 1 or two swordtails or something? Anything more interesting than another betta! If there's nothing else, the dwarf gourami will still be cool. I'd just like to know my options. :)

Thanks so much by the way, you two!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store