Amazon sword rearing failure

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rajdeeprath

AC Members
Jul 17, 2012
Exact measurements using ruler. My approximate earlier might have been incorrect.

Length 75 cm
Breadth 45 cm
Height 40 cm

2 possible holders for bulbs in the hood.

Light 15 watt fluorescent cfl 1 bulb
My gold fish don't chew on plants at all :)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Last edited:

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Exact measurements using ruler. My approximate earlier might have been incorrect.

Length 75 cm
Breadth 45 cm
Height 40 cm

2 possible holders for bulbs in the hood.

Light 15 watt fluorescent cfl 1 bulb
My gold fish don't chew on plants at all :)

OK, this is very different. The tank is 135 liters which is approximately 35 US gallons, and the length of 75cm = 30 inches.

Two sockets for bulbs so you should have two CFL bulbs, rated with 6500K. I would suggest 13w or the next higher wattage (not sure what this might be) CFL bulbs. The 6500K is the colour rendition but I find these work best. GE make one that I happen to use, but Sylvania and Phillips probably make similar. I use two 10w over my 20g which is ideal for my swords.

This is certainly the main issue. The present light is no where near adequate for swords.

Then, get the liquid fertilizer and substrate tabs, and that is covered. I'll respond to your subsequent post on plant species separately.

Byron.

rajdeeprath

AC Members
Jul 17, 2012
Sorry for my bad calculation earlier. So if I setup 2 x10watt cfl bulbs or a total of 30 watts ? that will be enough?

Fertilizers I will buy online. Also cdn you please take a look at ny second post about plants I wanna buy. Can you tell me which ones I can do without accurate lighting ?

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
The plant in the first link is a red Cabomba (Amanda will know the species, I think it may be C. palaeformis). Red leaf plants are red because they reflect red light, and red light is essential to photosynthesis, thus there usually has to be more intense light for red plants. However, some sources suggest that this Cabomba will manage in moderate light (obviously willin high light). But it might not be worth it.

The second link is the Windelov form of Java Fern, Microsorum pteropus "Windelov." This is a low-light species so should do well for you when you get the light I suggested in my last post. It can attract brush algae in direct light, so some floating plants works well here.

The third link is another red plant, the stem plant Alternanthera reineckii, which requires bright light. It will simply "melt" in your situation.

The fourth is another shade plant, Anubias nana, so a good choice. Like the Java Fern, best in shade to avoid brush algae. BTW, both JF and Anubias must be attached to wood or rock, not planted in the substrate; if buried the rhizome may rot. These are ideal plants as they can be attached to wood or rock and placed wherever.

Your swords will manage fine with the JF and Anubias under the better light I suggested previously. I have these plants together. Another good option is the pygmy chain sword. Crypts too, though they can be fussy and to get you well established I would wait for these until later.

Floating plants are beneficial, as noted above. Brazilian Pennywort is a stem plant that does very well left floating; it is not too thick (if you trim it regularly during the water change) so it is easy to control, but provides some "cover" which fish prefer and will suit the JF and Anubias.

Byron.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
Sorry for my bad calculation earlier. So if I setup 2 x10watt cfl bulbs or a total of 30 watts ? that will be enough?

Fertilizers I will buy online. Also cdn you please take a look at ny second post about plants I wanna buy. Can you tell me which ones I can do without accurate lighting ?

No, I would suggest at least the 13w CFL (two of them), but frankly here I would go with the next higher wattage. You have more depth and length than I have with my 20g, and two 10w seem to just make it for me.

rajdeeprath

AC Members
Jul 17, 2012
Cool I will try to go for 15 x 2 = 30 watts on total. Than if i see improvement in swords I will buy one anubias and try. They seem to seek it with its root inside a wooden casket or something. Looks like a pot shaped frame around the roots made of wood.

My bkg hates light so I want the anubias to provide shade for the bkg when I increase light intensity.

And thank you everyone for guiding me with this. I uses to think visibility light is enough so I started with a 5 watts clf. May be that's why i had all these issues.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Go for the 23W bulbs - This would give you 46W of CFL light over a 35 gallon tank. This will be enough to grow the swords, anubis, and java fern well.

In order to grow A. reineckii,you'll need a new fixture and double that level of light. It's also a pretty slow growing plant. The picture that they have of is of the plant in a CO2 injected moderate to high light. In lower light it has red undersides of the leaves with green tops. The goldfish will also likely eat this one.

The Cabomba is an excellent snack for the goldfish.

rajdeeprath

AC Members
Jul 17, 2012
I will try coupling 15 + 23 in the beginning and see how it goes. I will also order a anubias in this week.

The plants you said goldfish will eat, I will avoid those.

asukawashere

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Fairfield, CT
asukawashere.com
Real Name
Amanda Wenger
The plant in the first link is a red Cabomba (Amanda will know the species, I think it may be C. palaeformis). Red leaf plants are red because they reflect red light, and red light is essential to photosynthesis, thus there usually has to be more intense light for red plants. However, some sources suggest that this Cabomba will manage in moderate light (obviously willin high light). But it might not be worth it.
Cabomba piauhyensis is a synonym for C. furcata, one of the most demanding Cabomba species in the hobby. I wouldn't even bother looking at it with the parameters of your tank. The C. caroliniana var. palaeformis (also sold as simply C. palaeformis) Byron mentioned, however, is one of the easier Cabomba species to work with. It will grow in fairly low light, however, the poorer the light the leggier it gets—theoretically it could be done, but you might not like the look very much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store