Amiracle Wet/Dry Filter Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Raydee

AC Members
Feb 1, 2003
New York
Visit site
Well I bought an Amiracle wet/dry filter for my tank today and got it all set up but I have a problem. The flex hose that goes from the top of the filter to the bottom of the overflow is pretty loose in the fittings. One side is loose but the other side falls right out. What should I do to secure them better other than just plumbing them with PVC pipe?

Also I have a question about the pump. What happens if for whatever reason the the overflow stops siphoning but the pump keeps running? Will the pump eventually run dry and burn up?

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Hmm im not familiar with there tubing, but could you possibly use zip ties or a metal clamp to hold it tight?

If your overflow box does break siphon you will most likely flood the floor with the excess water getting pumped out of the sump, and the pump might burn out if left out of water long enough.

If your using a mag drive pump I wouldnt give it more than 10 minutes before burning out.

There are ways to avoid this however. The simplest is to just make sure your overflow tube is clear and bubble free.

If you want the most complex solution, you can run a float switch either in your main tank or in your sump to turn the return pump off when the water level gets too high or too low.

Raydee

AC Members
Feb 1, 2003
New York
Visit site
I saw some cheap float switches on ebay but i have no Idea how they are hooked up. Does anyone have any wiring diagrams or instuctions on how to set one up? I am hoping to set up my Overflow so that even if the power to the pump is off then the overflow will be high enough that it won't drain too much water into the sump causing a flood. I really just want to have a float level so that if the sump ever runs low the pump won't burn up.

The LAST thing I need is a flood on my basement floor!

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Depends on the type of float switch, there are cheap ones that run on 120 volts, but you would need to DIY a relay as you dont want a 120 volt switch in your tank.

There are some plans for that online that Ill get for you if you want.

The simplest way would be to buy one thats already put together. One like this one: http://www.marinedepot.com/a_mi_ul_fs.asp?CartId=

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store