Amp's 25g Cube Seagrass build REDUX

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Just curious...are you dosing a carbon source, Amp?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
ok, this is killing me and I have to know, why don't you clean the sides and back glass/powerhead/overflow box of all the dust? Toothbrush would take like 2 minutes on your size tank. LOL. Just one of those things that would drive me crazy, guess one my of OCD things, cleaning glass. Grass is looking good, nice to see new green things popping up.
Two things: 1) a touch of laziness and 2) the dust is actually clay dust from the Fiji Mud. If I disturb it, it will take days to settle again, making it look much the same. It is too fine for even my filter socks, so I don't really have a way to deal with it, unless I keep stirring it up until the skimmer removes all of it (or it settles into the sump).

Just curious...are you dosing a carbon source, Amp?
Nope, other than what the skimmer incorporates via aeration. The grasses also effectively use carbonate alkalinity, so I don't worry about it too much. I suppose there would be a boost in growth from an additional, readily available source, though.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Quick semi-update:
Just got past a months-long battle with dinoflagellates. I had been using a protein skimmer since day one on this system and never thought of it as an impediment. However, considering the luck people have had with higher pH, kalkwasser, and dinoflagellates, the idea occurred to me to unplug the skimmer. A few weeks of running without extra aeration and allowing the pH to run its diurnal course, the dinoflagellates completely disappeared. It ended up working far better than expected. I knew this was the main factor simply because nothing else, including feeding schedules had been altered.

Beyond that, not much has changed. The grass has secretly filled in after I suspected that it had all died off (specifically the Halophila). The turtle and manatee grasses have stubbornly (and admirably) held on as well. The Halophila has managed to sprout up in about 500 different spots with tiny, tiny leaves. However, the rhizomes are literally everywhere, as it had secretly been trailing beneath the substrate. I suspect the actual biomass of the grass beneath the sand is quite large, since it has already started compacting the substrate. Considering that this tank receives almost no care, it is doing extraordinarily well. Since my auto top off broke, I have rarely kept up with evaporation--salinity shifted rapidly and I had to unplug the sump completely on many occasions until I could get water made and/or order new filters for the RO unit. It also experienced a few prolonged power outages and related overflows while I was away on business.

My newest job that I started at the end of April really keeps me against the ropes. Between eating, sleeping, trying to stay halfway fit, and working, I barely have any time anymore. I have about 2.5 hours after work to complete as much as possible everyday (even on weekends, since I work those, too). Mornings are even more constrained, since the more sleep you get the better off you are--and sleep becomes increasingly important when you work 12+ hours every single day. I have about enough time to splash water in my tank, toss in food, feed my dog, myself, and then leave or go to bed. I'll take about 30 mins per day to surf around. I've lurked on AC quite a bit, but haven't really posted, as I had nothing to really contribute. I also lost some interest in forums in general for a while, since I was focusing 100% on my job. This evening was one of the rare ones that I had some spare time, so I'm glad I was able to post here. In any case, I'll keep things updated at least semi-regularly. Hopefully next time around I'll have pics and a more substantial update.

Thanks to anyone who has followed and/or stuck with this thread for bearing with me.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Glad you found time to post. I'm about on the same schedule but thankfully not working weekends (yet anyway).

Glad you beat the dinos as well! Funny how tanks that get almost no attention seem to do so well :).

leocom2000

AC Members
Dec 27, 2007
Just want to let you know I am reading your posts and am happy to see another one. I am too working some long and abnormal hours, but I am lucky to have some time to sleep in the morning. Hang in there and good luck with the tank.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Update:

The tank is looking substantially better, especially after I added a new Tunze to the mix in addition to the MP40. The grass has really taken off and nuisance algae has finally backed off. Beyond that, the tank's worm factor is maxed out. I mean ridiculous amounts of worms of various, including some unique zebra striped ones that I haven't been able to narrow down. Looks like all that live sand came in handy. I should have some pics up by this weekend to document, though. In a nutshell, the shoalgrass has done very well and filled in while the oargrass dwindled. However, after the dinoflagellates disappeared, the oargrass exploded and has filled in pretty much every square inch of remaining space. It hasn't gotten dense yet, but I plan to prune it all back before that happens. I'm going to try to keep this stand of grasses as healthy as possible this time around.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
And the pics... Just took a couple, since the viewing angles are limited. For those wondering why I left the sides dirty, there's a reason for that
. I have hundreds of dorvilleid worms that munch on it and I rather like them, so I keep the sides algae-covered for their benefit... and I'm a bit lazy as well

Notice how the Halophila filled in incredibly fast. It went from almost nothing when I first restarted, then got choked out by the dinoflagellates. What you are seeing is roughly 2.5 months of sprouting only, which is incredible. This species' tendency toward ultra-fast vegetative growth is nothing short of astounding. The shoal grass has filled in quite well. It gradually dwindled like the rest and suddenly sent runners and shoots everywhere. There are about 30 individual shoots, ranging from about 1" to about 8". Last but not least, one of my favorites, the worm activity. I got a sandbed shot to show the amount of burrowing occurring in the bed. You can even see some of the dorvilleids nestled in their burrows next to grass roots. Very cool. There isn't a single square inch of sand that isn't packed with a worm of some sort, be it a cirratulid or run of the mill amphinomid. Exactly what I was going for!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I am fairly clueless when it comes to seagrass but its good to see that you are having success. That first pic are sweet!

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I am fairly clueless when it comes to seagrass but its good to see that you are having success. That first pic are sweet!
There's not too terribly much to growing seagrasses (at least in my experience) and that's why I like them. All I do is feed and watch them grow, assuming dinoflagellates aren't trying to cover them. I think everybody should give seagrasses a shot, unless one just doesn't like them or the look they create. When I decide to set up a reef again, you can bet that I'll have an adjacent seagrass bed in the display.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
A mini-update and no pics at the moment:

I've had a lot more success as the tank aged and stabilized. The grasses have filled in almost too well and I've already started pulling large amounts of rhizomes from the substrate. I can tell when areas of substrate get too thick with them, because I start seeing less infauna in that area, plus the grasses start looking leggy. Fairly easy to spot once you know what you are looking for. It's a bit more extra work than I had intended, but it still is a far cry from what I would've been doing with a typical reef system. I think this is the only way you can sustainably keep these grasses growing at heavy rates--something FW planted folks are already quite familiar with and accustomed to. I guess with experience with corals (and zero experience with grasses before), I was initially a bit afraid of simply yanking the grasses out, worrying that they may not fill back in. Obviously now I know that such worries are completely[/] unfounded, at least with one species. I'm not quite as aggressive about pruning the other species I have in there, though, since their growth and coverage is much less. Anyway, new pics to come soon. I'll likely have some up before X-mas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store