Amp's 25g Cube Seagrass build REDUX

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Well, I stumbled across a fantastic deal locally on one of the Vortech MP40W ES pumps, so that'll be going in. While I'm reasonably satisfied with the single nanostream, I want something to create some wave-like action, as well as occasional disturbance--and the ES is just the ticket. While I don't ever plan to use anywhere close the full extent of the Vortech's power on this tank, it was hard to pass up (less than an MP10 ES). The rhythmic motion of the seagrass in the waves is something I'm looking forward to replicating.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Another update some may find interesting: phosphate and nitrate. I began increasing my feedings here recently to correspond with the higher amounts of growth (and plants, in turn, have rewarded me with very fast growth). I'm up to feeding twice per day just for fish, which includes a whole cube of formula 1 or 2 and pellets later in the day (which tend to be worse on average in terms of N and P). I'm also feeding a whole cube of micro-foods, which basically consists of cyclops, other copepods, rotifers, and phytoplankton. This is all on a 25g (about 30 counting the sump and all the displacement). No scrubber at the moment and only some Ulva in the sump--almost all filtration is occurring directly in the display. So:

Phophate: 0.02-0.04, depending on how generous I get with food--less if I skip for a day or so. If I skip for too long, the [nitrate] will actually rise.

Nitrate: Undetectable at all times.

Basically, the uptake rate is quite heavy for the relatively small amount of plant matter I have, which I'm particularly satisfied with. I may hold off on the scrubber for longer to see how much it can handle once it has really filled in. I shudder to think of the amount of food I'd need to keep the system stable if I were to add a scrubber at the moment. I can barely keep up as it is. As much as I don't like the idea, since nitrogen is always exceedingly low in most marine environments, I may actually have to start adding KNO3 a la FW planted tank style along with the food. I can bet that with a tiny amount, I'd probably be able to drive the phosphate concentration to undetectable.

More updates to come when the Vortech MP40W ES comes in.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Well, no time for pics (it's been a long week for me), but I did get the new Vortech MP40w EcoSmart pump in and installed. Now for my first impressions. The pump is large, but fortunately, only part of it is in the water. You can't beat the low-profile in the tank. Second, it's louder than the other models and louder than my old Tunze 6100. The Tunze was the size of a camcorder, though. The Tunze also had much, much more flow volume and was about as broad, if not slightly more. It also had the benefit of being positioned, which is something I miss with this Vortech. However, what it lacks in those categories is very largely makes up for them in terms of sheer controllability. It is by far the most versatile controllable pump out there and the features are incredible. Of course, my favorite feature is the wave resonance generation. Very cool feature. The flow is gentle and broad, as described everywhere you see. While far from perfect, I am very pleased with it. If I had to choose between it and a Tunze stream, I'd likely go with the Vortech for controllability and Tunze for volume (both audible volume and flow volume). Ideally, I'd have both in place for the best of both worlds.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I agree completely with you on the noise level... vortechs are annoyingly noisy because of the driver being on the outside of the tank. I had read about the noise levels being a problem before I bought mine but they were 50/50 being "too noisy, I am returning it" to.... "Noisy the first week, but they break in and get quieter, and now I don't even hear mine". Well, mine never got any quieter and the "wave" or short pulse mode is just way to annoying for me. Sounds like a race motorcycle taking off from a stop to race each time the vortech turns on in wave mode.. imagine a constant "Waaaah!... quiet .. Waaaah" (a race motorcycle sound, hard to type that). In a small apartment you can't fall asleep with that.. so I use the lagoon mode (I think, it is purple light on the controller).

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
I have mine on lagoon as well.. my mp20 is to powerful for my tank most other modes make water splash out of the tank.. lagoon is quiet.. and ace your noise description is perfect haha

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Mine's in nutrient transport mode until the nighttime, when it gets switched to "night mode." I've never been a fan of night mode on any of these controllable pumps, since night conditions are variable, not necessarily always slower. But I had to make a compromise, since this tank is in my bedroom next to my bed. I would prefer to get some sleep.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Big photo update with clean front glass. The water is still a bit cloudy from the work I did.

Mostly FTS:

Clowns in seagrass and anemone. They will lay on the grass sometimes:

Grand appearance:

Closeup of grass on front left, which is starting to really fill in:

My oldest coral:

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
YIKES!

Out of dumb, blind luck, I've stumbled across something that may well be important. After searching through some species of Halophila trying to figure out why my grass never really filled out to a broader leaf shape like it is supposed to, I realized that it likely is not H. decipiens. The grass I am now convinced I have, especially after seeing mature leaf structures, is H. johnsonii. The problem here is that this species is endangered and protected, lol. I found the pics and needless to say I pulled a :jaw-dropping:. Not really sure what I need to do. Here's a pic--you be the judge:

H. johnsonii

Mine:

It even has the little brown patches on the leaves like H. johnsonii

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Where did you get it from? It does look exactly like h. johnsonii to me. Somehow I doubt the authorities are going to be knocking down your door to confiscate the sea grass. ;) It wasn't like you had this evil plan on getting something that was endangered, it was an honest mistake and it looks very close to the other grass you wanted.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Where did you get it from? It does look exactly like h. johnsonii to me. Somehow I doubt the authorities are going to be knocking down your door to confiscate the sea grass. ;) It wasn't like you had this evil plan on getting something that was endangered, it was an honest mistake and it looks very close to the other grass you wanted.
Nah, I'm not expecting any door breaking or anything of the sort. I'm just wondering if it is legal to possess it to begin with, even if the law was followed. I'm planning on just holding onto it and pass it along. Who knows, maybe it will contribute to conservation in the future.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store