An odd, natural alternative sponge filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
A few years ago, I made this post:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forum...rock-wall-and-cave-for-5-gallon-hex&highlight=

Now that my rock wall has become grown over with java moss, I seem to have a "natural" sponge type filter. The airstone creates a nice upward current that seems to really suck in the junk. When I break out the gravel vac, I get way more off the rocks than the sand. Of course, I'd hate to see what it looks like behind the wall....<shudder>

I guess that someone who was into this type of filtration could create features/decorations in their tank with better maintenance values. Sure, it's not quite as efficient as a true sponge, but I think it would probably still work wonders as a biological filtration devise and look a lot better than a giant sponge.

2rivers

AC Members
Oct 20, 2010
NH
Real Name
Brandon
I used lava rocks intended for the grill ina hex the same size for an undergravel filter. Works great and no carbon to deal with. I think more poreous rocks work better but delicate fish may get scratched up alittle.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I remember your tank, such pretty rocks. I know I'd have to look behind the wall, lol, but not often. That sponge thing of java moss is why I have a like/hate relationship with it, too much detritus.

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
Probably more like a undergravel than a sponge..though the moss would certainly help.

Provided you can find hole to squeeze tubing through, just run some airline tubing behind the wall and syphon out gunk. It will be slow, and I would also wiggle the tubing to help stir things if possible, but it should help with some gunk removal.

I did the same thing occiasonally to an undergravel filter I had. Just found the largest tubing I could get to run down the tube and under the filter. Oh the horrors that would bring up.

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
I think I made it a little too sturdy, without thought of future cleaning or airstone replacement. One of these days.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store