...and now to the lighting questions...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishinhd

AC Members
Dec 25, 2002
rehoboth beach DE
Visit site
OK...in the planning stages for a 150 gl. reef. Just got a 400 watt new metal halide on ebay for $60. The plan is two metal halides at either end of said 6 ft. tank and 2 home made 48" "hoods" for the center. One hood will contain a 20,000k daylight bulb and a 10,000k "reef sun" bulb. The other hood will contain 2 "blue moon reef" bulbs. Everything will be on timers to simulate, as closely as possible, sun up, mid-day, sunset, and night moon phase before all is off for the day.

Here is the question: does anyone here have any knowledge about high pressure sodium or mercury vapor lights?? Reason for asking is the price of these is much less than metal halides and the light seems similar. I'm sure there are reasons they are not comparable...but I would like to hear some of these reasons, since I really just don't know. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Mike

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Some of the ballasts from HPS and MV can be used, but the bulbs can not. They have a very low spectrum and will result in alot of algae growth.

I seriously doubt you will be able to see those two 48" bulbs at all with the MH on.

fishinhd

AC Members
Dec 25, 2002
rehoboth beach DE
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys, I didn't think HPS or MV bulbs had enough to them, but I wasn't sure. I should have been a little clearer on the setup. The tank is in a wall in my new house (almost finished). The face is the only part seen, the whole back of the tank is in an attic space, wich part of will be an office later. The metal halides will be pendant type hanging from cieling. The fluorescents will also be suspended perhaps a little closer to the tank. There will be glass tops on the tank itself. I'm sure you pictured some kind of huge enclosed hood with the inside getting to a boiling point. This room will also have heat and air cond. so I hope I won't need a chiller. I will use some small fans if needed, but I think I will be OK since the lights will not be directly on top of the tank. Thanks again for the input, I'm sure you will see me posting a whole LOT more in the near future.

Mike

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store