Anemonie Death Toll (5)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jrjeffery

AC Members
Mar 18, 2005
I am having very bad luck with anemonies, long tenticle, short tenticle it does not matter. I have only been able to keep one alive for a month or so, but as soon as I placed two smaller anemonies in the tank, all three died withinn days. I check water quality every 2 days, salinity is at 1.025. I quarantine new animals for 1-2 weeks, add trace elements monthly for one remaining ginopora coral (other one bit the dust.) I don't think it had any thing to do with anemonies as the deaths happened many weeks apart. I have taken samples of water and had it tested by local shop. (Nothing found) I do weekly water changes, 10-15%. water has always been good quality.
I have 6 damsels (2 three stripes 2 dominos 2 yellow tails) 1 percula clown (tank bred) 1 bannana wrasse. Obvioulsy tubo snails, small red legged hermits (5-6), cyrenth snails (5-6) sorry for the spelling! 1 chestnut snail, 1 cleaner shrimp and 1 peppermint shrimp.

I have lost 4 flame scollops- 6 anemonies- 1 gionopora coral- 1 starburst green coral. I am at a loss as to what the problem is. I have good lighting, do not over feed, good water movement. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused: Oh forgot! 80 gallon tank 60lbs live rock, crushed coral under, live sand substrate.

Last edited:

Fish_First

AC Members
Jan 14, 2005
I think the biggest problem you have is you are going too fast, and too soon... have you had much experience in reef keeping prior to this??? Why add so many anemones? Why replacing the ones that have died??? Did you research anything before this? You will find that anemones, scallops, and corals are NOT for beginners. Even the experts rarely take on scallops. Also are you feeding these inverts? How are you feeding them? What are your water parameters? Please stop purchasing everything right now, why waste cash when you don't even know what is going on in your tank? :confused:

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Please stop killing anemones and slow down. They are such beautiful long lived creratures that generally do poorly in tanks, especially in new setups. You can acheieve a nice reef look using soft corals that are so much easier to care for.

But to help in any way we need to know everything about your tank, how long it has been setup, water params, fish load, lighting etc...

jrjeffery

AC Members
Mar 18, 2005
I apologize fro not giving all the important info. Ammonia-0 nitrate-0 nitrite <.10 ppm, lighting coralife quad bulb 75w X 4 (2 actininc - 2 blue ) 1 coralife 5w moon light. protien skimmer runs 24/7. water temp 77 F. tank is 9 months old. Not all anemonies were placed in tank at once. Have lost 6 not all a once. I misstated situation. I am failry new to this hobbie, but have kept fresh water setups for over 20 tears. I also have done much research before starting with salt water. I have purchased 5 different books and read all cover to cover before starting setup of my tank. I have an understanding of reef keeping. I know I can and will learn much more as it goes on, but am trying to see if anyone has had a similar proble with SOME inverts and nto with others. I had one anemonie to start it lived almost 2 months, then when I placed another much smaller anemonie of the same species in the tank (oposite side) they both died. No fish die of, no coral die off at that point only the anemonies. I do feed ZOO-Plex invert food. 1-2 times per week as there are many tiny feather dusters as well as anemonies and corals in the tank. I did not ask for a lecture on my keeping habits. I have started slow and tried to progress slowly. Only having to replace anemonies. Is a 9 month old setup to (young) for anemonies, and if so I appologize to anyone I have offended. Unfortunatly my local shop keeper (who I thought I could trust, since I have done business whith him for years,) has been the one advising me. He has not pushed products on me or steered me wrong in any other area.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
hope I can help you . Fist stay away from scallops and other similar filter feeders they are going to starve to death in pretty much any tank out there. They need a constant supply of phyto and other micro plancton.
If all you are feeding is zoo-plex that's probably the issue all of the anems you mentioned will also need meaty foods on a very regular basis ," as often as every day for some of them." I'd start out with a rock anemone they are the easiest to take care of and do pretty well in new set ups like yours. They also can get a lot more of their nutrienst from the meat and filter food that you have. Part of the problem is your tank isn't old enough yet Amenones filter feed pretty a lot. I know you are supplimenting but, that's all it really is . Also do you run carbon? With all the softies you have there is prbly some pretty serious bio-chemical warefare going on .

if you have any more questions please feel free to ask . I love anemones too so do the other guys I'm sure that they didn't mean to come off as extreme or as lecturing you . We just see lots of dead anem's around here :(
hth and no flames intended

jrjeffery

AC Members
Mar 18, 2005
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have carbon packed in all three power head filters, as well as in the water return on protien skimmer not to mention the external Fluval 404 filter baskets. I did try feeding feeding the anems enriched shrimp (cut into small peices) but they seemed to reject it most of the time. They seemed to like the zoo-plex better. Is there another type of meaty food source they might prefer. Of course at this time I am scared to try another anemonie. So I may never have to worry about it. My thinking is I will try mushrooms and xenia. They seem to be, (from much research on web and books,) much easier for a beginner as I keep being called. I guess I made a bad assumption thinking that after years of fresh water tanks that a salt tank could not be that far of a stretch. I was able to breed many different cichlids with no problems. I guess you live and learn but, I don't like killing creatures as much as the next guy, not to mention the $ spent. How old should the tank be before inverts liek anemonies should be housed?

Dfish

AC Members
Mar 16, 2005
jrjeffery,
im in the same boat. Fresh water for years, but i havnt had any problems with my marines as yet (apart from LFS selling without first giving info). Although ive found over the years, you need to read and explore yourself, get advice, but in the long run its you who has the closest relationship with the tank. Ive bred cichlids in a tank for 2 years without one water change,(not saying this is a good idea, but its just an example) but i guess ill find out how marines go even though it seems cruisy just more maintenance and much more life :D. Im probably going to have all these replys going off at me now, but the fact is take all the info and make the choices yourself, because alot is false.
p.s. im sure you didnt mean to kill anything. I think people should look at the pollution they create etc first, before they start hacking someone trying to enjoy wildlife. Its wrong

good luck

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store