angel eggs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mkbuckham

AC Members
Mar 5, 2004
Colorado Springs
Visit site
Just got back from camping and found eggs in my 55 angel tank, half of the eggs are clear the other half milky white. The pair is defending and cleaning the site. Other tank mates are two more angels 5 cory's and lots a guppy's. Are the eggs supposed to turn white? what do I need to do

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
White eggs are infertile. First time spawners might eat them but they will eventually learn in the process. Leave the eggs with them.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
The odds are good that the eggs wont make it to the wiggler stage in a community tank and even worse that any fry might survive.

There are two alternatives if getting fry is your primary goal. One is to move the angel pair to their own tank of at least 20 gals and let them spawn there in the future. The other is to remove the eggs to a hatching tanks and you can then raise them. There are a couple of things you would need to do.

In either case it is a good idea to provide freshly hatched bbs for angel fry. They normally will only take live food initially but can be weened onto prepared foods starting about 7-10 days after going free swimming.

mkbuckham

AC Members
Mar 5, 2004
Colorado Springs
Visit site
I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members. is the best quote I have heard in a while. If I moved the eggs into 29 gallon with sponge filtration would I need to move the parents also? And how long untill these two try again? thx for answers

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Many angels can and do raise their fry successfully. However, some don't ever get it and will eat every spawn. Fortunately, you can also hatch out and raise the fry without them if necessary. The choice is up to you as to which you want to try. Here is a pic of a spawn I hateched out in a 2.5 gal tank:

Angels can and do spawn about every 2 weeks. I have heard reports of it being as little as 10 days and I have seen it be as long as 3 weeks or so.

As for that quote- it is from Groucho Marx.

mkbuckham

AC Members
Mar 5, 2004
Colorado Springs
Visit site
They eggs have now turned all white and are covered by a small 'hair" like fungus. I am setting up a 29 gallon to move the pair into. Ideally whats the best build for a spawning pair of angels? I know the water requirments but Sponge Filter or UG? and theres a lot of bog wood in there now leave it or open space with a little hiding room and should I put the rock they allready spawned on in there or will they take a new spot easily?

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Bare bottom. Angel babies stay down at first so bare is best. A couple of sponge filters is good. Get a breeding slate or else a large leaved plant for them to lay eggs on.

Be sure to have brine shrimp eggs on hand to hatch for the fry once they absorb their yolk sac. Other small live food will work too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store