Angel fish tank size?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aardvark1

Too many tanks are almost enough...
Sep 27, 2005
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
I have two pair in a 55; happy, spawning every two weeks.

Now if I can get them to stop eating the babies!

I took the eggs from their first spawn and raised them in a 10 gallon. Only 6 survived, are now an inch in diameter body size (2-3 months old). God-daughter is getting them

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I am aware of some angel breeders who actually spawn angels in 10 gal tanks. I have spoken with people I trust who have actually seen this.

The thing about using a smaller space for spawning paired angels it that it takes a much more stringent maint. routine to pull off.
yes it can be done..but there are limitations..most of the breeders I know use larger tanks as they are trying to keep the pair comfortable and parent raise the fry..they also only use sponge filters and do daily water changes with controlled water.
others may use the 10 to allow the parents to spawn then remove the pair shortly after the spawn.

in reality a 10 is too small to house adult angels for any length of time.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
how many could you happily fit into a 55g?

actual spawning pairs? 2

in a commmunity set up you could keep 5-6 angels until they spawn.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
and then become to territorial?
spawning pair will become territorial.

outside of that you only need to deal with issues that come from the pecking order.

aardvark1

Too many tanks are almost enough...
Sep 27, 2005
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
I can always tell when mine have spawned; mom & dad will be guarding their side of the tank, woe behold any fishie who dares swim nearby!

Most of the time all is peaceful and serene. One pair stays one side, the other pair the other side. At times they will meet in the middle and do some threat posturing (sudden dashes at the interlopers), nothing serious...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store