Angel variety ID please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
My lfs got this angel in today, named Mr. Nasty. Apparently he was harassing his tank mates. Anyway, I was wondering what variety he was.

Shortly after he arrived. Poor little guy.

And a few hours later.

jlink17

AC Members
Mar 15, 2009
Silver Veil. Looks like my Silver except this one is a veil and mine are standard.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
It looks to be P. Scalare a super veil 1/2 color morph(silver?)
but the stripes could be faded a bit due to stress.
let it get acclimated and free of stress.
it should then show it's colors

Last edited:

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
It looks to be P. Scalare a super veil 1/2 color morph(silver?)
but the stripes could be faded a bit due to stress.
let it get acclimated and free of stress.
it should then show it's colors
I will take some more pictures this Friday.
You can even see color variation in the photos due to stress. Sometimes you can see a dark band over the eye, and sometimes you can't.

tropics007

AC Members
Jul 26, 2008
Wilmington, NC
My guess would be a silver ghost (veil). He looks a little similar to my sister's male angel. He has the blue in the fins too. Either way that angels is STUNNING!!!

Here is a few pics for reference: ( do not mind his girlfriend in the pics).

male 4.jpg

male 5.jpg

male angel 2.jpg

They were cleaning off the slate, so he is a little angry at me in the pics when I took them.

male 4.jpg male 5.jpg male angel 2.jpg

foolishfish

Registered Fish Offender
Dec 10, 2008
Where the wild things are
He's a beaut Tropics.

I'd agree w/ Star_rider as to the scalare call and waiting for acclimation to take a stab at the color. Anyway you slice it trying to figure these guys out after the fact with no info on the lineage is a crap shoot. Angels carry so many incomplete dominant and recessive mutations that it'll make ya crazy. It's like trying to guess the recipe with just a taste on the tip of your tongue.

That poor guy at the LFS might color up nice but that dorsal ain't gonna get any straighter.

Ken Kennedy knows more about the iridescent blue than anybody I can think of and there's an archive of him discussing his Blue Pinoy angels at

http://www.live365.com/stations/theamol?site=pro

It's an on-line radio show that's all about fish and the guy that does it, Frank Falcone, has forgotten more than I'll ever know about 'em. He raises some really neat corys too.

I have half black wild crosses that throw everything from clowns and blushers to zebras and ghosts, some standard, veil and super veils, and just for laughs the offspring half black blushers will throw marbles, golds and platinums.

The pics (I couldn't get Larry, Moe and Curly to sit still) are all from the same parents (ignore the B/B in the back ground) born about two months apart and now 8 and 10 months old respectively.
Go figure...

Karens D40 067.jpg Larry, Moe & Curly.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store