angelfish and discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
how many discus?

still, I find it hard to agree with mixing the two....goes against everything I've ever read and/or experienced.

angels are aggressive. discus aren't. makes for a bad mix.

this isn't even taking into account the whole disease thing.

it is done quite successfully by many. I for one have had no big issues keeping Discus with angels.
the discus are not Mamby pamby crybaby bedwetters.
they can be every bit as aggressive as angels.

I have kept the tow together for many years.

but as mentioned. you should QT the angels and treat with anti parasite meds. metronidazole, prazi and levamisole hcl is the mix I use to treat the angels for parasites.
also it is a good idea to let the discus get established prior to adding the angels.

I have kept young angels with young discus..but would recommend growing the discus out . both species benefit when grown out in a bare bottom tank with several feedings per day. with daily water changes.

if you want to try mixing the species. have a 75-90 gallon tank minimum for adults. be mindful of pairing angels and discs paired are aggresive.
just be educated when attempting this.

el wadd

Master of the Stupid Question.
Sep 26, 2006
uranus
it is done quite successfully by many. I for one have had no big issues keeping Discus with angels.
the discus are not Mamby pamby crybaby bedwetters.
they can be every bit as aggressive as angels.

I have kept the tow together for many years.

but as mentioned. you should QT the angels and treat with anti parasite meds. metronidazole, prazi and levamisole hcl is the mix I use to treat the angels for parasites.
also it is a good idea to let the discus get established prior to adding the angels.

I have kept young angels with young discus..but would recommend growing the discus out . both species benefit when grown out in a bare bottom tank with several feedings per day. with daily water changes.

if you want to try mixing the species. have a 75-90 gallon tank minimum for adults. be mindful of pairing angels and discs paired are aggresive.
just be educated when attempting this.
sounds like a pain the :footinmouth: to me....

If you wanna do this....you gotta do this...

I could grow my labradors out with wolves, and the'd probably be fine for awhile too...but eventually, I'd regret doing it. (lil extreme, but you get the point;) )

I wouldn't go so far as to call them bedwetters, but to try and play them off like they're just as aggressive as angels is untrue. I've kept them both...yes together, and unless you have a BIG tank, IMO it's just asking for trouble...
Any animal who carries diseases they are immune to but others aren't, sounds to me like they don't go together very well.

BUT, people are entitled to their opinions:bs: and far be it from me to claim expert status. I can only comment on my PERSONAL EXPERIENCES and nothing else.

If you throw em in there together, good luck.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I have discus that are more aggressive than any of my angels..and i have quite a few angels.
my domestic discus are living with wild angels..your reference to labs and wolves just does not pan out. ;)
these diseases that the angels are 'immune' to is also not true..the angels are not immune to these diseases..they have built up a bit of tolerance to them.. but these 'diseases' are actually parasites that the angels were exposed to in large breeding facilities. (specifically angel breeding facilities) the angel can also secumb to these parasites.

it is a precaution to treat the angels..in qt..btw I learned from importers and breeders that it is SOP to treat all their discus the same way.

as it turns out..there is no guarantee that imported discus are at any less risk at disease/parasites than any other fish.

oh and I said the discus aren't "mamby pamby crybaby bedwetters" as a matter of fact they are cichlids and being so ..can also become very aggressive.

my point is to try and give the poster some information which may help make a sound , educated decision.

it's okay to disagree.

el wadd

Master of the Stupid Question.
Sep 26, 2006
uranus
we are agreed.:hi:

I thought the labrador equasion was pretty good....:y220e:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store