Angelfish eggs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
meyerhaus said:
They do love the down tubes. It seems to me that they desire maximum water flow to keep the eggs clean; where better than the down tube?
ahh, that makes perfect sense!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
the best way to tell male from female is to watch the spawn and take a look at the ovipositor(breeding tube). the females tube is short and thick.. the males is thin and longer.

males are not always bigger than females. generally I would agree with this(males larger than females).

however, i have seen females that are very large.. bigger than the males.

I have a large female in one pair..she is almost as large as the male...and larger than my other breeding male. I have three confirmed pairs.(I think the size has more to do with the lineage)

I find that the wild fish (in my case) grow faster as they are more aggressive at feeding.

oddly I find that angels are prone to spawning even without a mate..not true in all cichlids( I have female bolivians with no mates and they don't lay eggs.

they do prefer upright surfaces..I have one pair that nearly always spawn on a powerhead( I think they like the circulation)

my other pairs prefer large anubias leaves.

onelivewire

Cichlid Patrol
Sep 14, 2006
Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Yea, my father used to have 2 female oscars in a tank, and every once in a while a bunch of useless eggs would show up. We just would clean them out. The water in an oscar tank has to be cleaned so often anyway...

Don't mean to "advertise" but I really need some help with my african cichlids, and it does have to do with egg-laying!

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83491

Thanks soo much.

BTW, you should consider getting a male, as you seem to want to breed them. They are such beautiful fish.

meyerhaus

Big Papa
Sep 16, 2006
Cincinnati, OH
meyerhaus said:
If they are from the same spawn, it is easier to tell the males as they are the bigger of the pair.
star_rider said:
males are not always bigger than females. generally I would agree with this(males larger than females).
If you see my quote above, I said that if they were from the same spawn that the male will be the bigger in the pair. Have you had a pair from the same spawn that you grew out, mated and that the female is bigger? I have never seen that.

foolishfish

Registered Fish Offender
Dec 10, 2008
Where the wild things are
the best way to tell male from female is to watch the spawn and take a look at the ovipositor(breeding tube). the females tube is short and thick.. the males is thin and longer.

however, i have seen females that are very large.. bigger than the males.

I have a large female in one pair..she is almost as large as the male...and larger than my other breeding male. I have three confirmed pairs.(I think the size has more to do with the lineage)

I find that the wild fish (in my case) grow faster as they are more aggressive at feeding.
Another way that I've noticed is that the females, as with humans, are a lot meaner and a heck of a lot more dangerous.

I lost a beautiful black male that was almost the size of my palm. He must've eaten the eggs and the female, that was half his size, took a chunk out of his forehead that looked like someone had run a 3/16" router bit across his face. When I reached in the tank to remove the recently departed she went after me. Freaked me out. Never thought of angels as being the least bit aggressive, at least not to that level.

I'm pretty new to the hobby but I tend to agree that the further from nature the hybrid gets, the less aggressive they feed and the slower they grow out compared to the wild caught. I have some pearls and half blacks that are standards and they'll practically leave the tank to get to the food where as the super veil zebras seem like they could care less.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store