Angelfish eye trouble

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

The camaro show

AC Members
Apr 10, 2017
Most bacteria can not survive at a higher temp that's one of the pros of higher water temp faster growth and less chance of bacteria, for example when you treat ich you should always up your temp early before it reaches another stage

WaterBaby

Senior Member with Senior Moments
Sep 23, 2002
Florence, New Jersey
Camera Used
I use an iPhone 8 camera
Well, this has been a day.... first thing this morning when I went to see how my girl was doing, OMG! She was hovering on her side in the middle of the tank. The second thing I realized is that the tank water was warm to the touch. My thermometer in the tank read 80 but when I put another in the water, it read 84, 86........ what the heck??? My Eihem heater was set too high. Don't know how that happened.... so I turned it down and THEN realized that I had no aerator going in the tank!!! What the hell was I thinking when I set this tank up???!! I damn near killed her..... so I put an air stone in. Tonight she looks better.... not listing onto her side.... her eye unfortunately looks no better. Ugh.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Most bacteria can not survive at a higher temp that's one of the pros of higher water temp faster growth and less chance of bacteria, for example when you treat ich you should always up your temp early before it reaches another stage
Ich is a parasite and the increased temp makes its life cycle quicker. The salt makes it unable to breed. The reason you raise the temp is so that it grows from egg to cyst to adult faster and then you use salt to keep it from making more.

Bacteria are entirely different and the best temp for bacterial growth is actually the temps you mentioned. For most bacteria to die you need to raise temps above 37 C , (~96 F). Unfortunately, the temp range you mentioned is one we use in biolabs to grow bacteria more quickly for cultures.
As this link is scientific keep in mind all temps are given in Celsius.
http://textbookofbacteriology.net/nutgro_5.html

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Well, this has been a day.... first thing this morning when I went to see how my girl was doing, OMG! She was hovering on her side in the middle of the tank. The second thing I realized is that the tank water was warm to the touch. My thermometer in the tank read 80 but when I put another in the water, it read 84, 86........ what the heck??? My Eihem heater was set too high. Don't know how that happened.... so I turned it down and THEN realized that I had no aerator going in the tank!!! What the hell was I thinking when I set this tank up???!! I damn near killed her..... so I put an air stone in. Tonight she looks better.... not listing onto her side.... her eye unfortunately looks no better. Ugh.
Oh! Thats scary, but at least you caught it. Extra air is a good thing in hospital tanks, if you have a HOB filter on it you can lower the water level to get even more DO.

WaterBaby

Sep 23, 2002
Florence, New Jersey
Camera Used
I use an iPhone 8 camera
IMG_2399.PNG I think she is hovering sideways because she can't see out of that eye. Today when I look at it, it seems that those white spots are not on her cornea but IN her aqueous humor (I had to look that up ☺). Her pupil looks funny like it has sunk in on on the inside and has a shine to it. I am at a loss. Don't know if this can get better.....

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
If it looks like its sinking in and turning white, it could be cataracts? How old is the fish? It could also be a fungal or a bacterial infection at this point. That's why I like melafix and salt at first, you can get an idea of whats happening before going hardcore meds.

I would maybe lean to agreeing with Frank about penicillin at this point. But I am also leaning toward fungal. . . If you can find methylene blue, it is a good general treatment for BOTH bacteria and fungal, but it will wipe out your biofilter, so you'll need daily water changes while treating and keeping up the concentration.

WaterBaby

Sep 23, 2002
Florence, New Jersey
Camera Used
I use an iPhone 8 camera
I got her from a friend who was moving about 3 years ago. Don't know how long he had her before that. Will look for those meds. Thanks!

WaterBaby

Sep 23, 2002
Florence, New Jersey
Camera Used
I use an iPhone 8 camera
Ok, I bought the Methyline Blue. Now do I treat along WITH salt and Melafix or just the Methyline Blue itself?

WaterBaby

Sep 23, 2002
Florence, New Jersey
Camera Used
I use an iPhone 8 camera
Any idea how long to treat with the Methyline Blue? I just did a water change because of Ammonia and I replaced by ratio the water removed/Methyline blue back into the tank. She has been in this treated water since Thursday night. A little hard to see her eye because of the tinted water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store