Angelfish fighting or kissing??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Hmm......so what does it mean when the agressor does blind-side hits and then follows them up with lip-locking? Oh, and then throws in charges with fins flared and head shaking? That's the behavior I saw between my two angels. BTW, the loser didn't just cower at first. He/she did fight back. For a brief time, it was the loser that was doing the chasing and attacking.......I mean for about a day or so. For whatever reason, the dominant player was a complete wuss for that day.
You have a good chance of a fish deciding territory..most likely a male(not always)
keep a close eye out..angels can hit pretty hard ..I have seen some hit's so hard they stun the lesser fish.

I have also lot angels from this behavior.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
females will lip-lock a male..it's kind of a test of fortitude. to decide if he is a worthy mate.

I have several breeding pairs..I have seen this most predominantly in pairs..
if you watch males fight..they are NOT lip locking... males fighting for territory is much more aggressive..blind side hits are common. it is pretty scarey when males go at it..especially if one male ie the third wheel out.

now that said..young angels may spar..if these are young..it could be sparring or a possible pair starting early.

I would recommend you get a much larger tank..a 29 is good for a pair..btw..you will be amazed at their growth rate when they are moved to larger quarters.
i love lerning new stuff :D

knew the part about the males fighting though, which is why i thought it was unsual.

a 20 gallon will not be big enough for them. a 29 is probably your best bet and it gives you a little wiggle room for a group of corydoras to add some activity to the bottom of the tank.

keep the ten gallon cycled jsut in case they do turn out to be a spawning pair. it will give you a place to keep the babies.

kimwangsong

Registered Member
Sep 10, 2008
I had two angels, one of them started bullying on the other. Trying to resolve the issue I brought another two assuming the first couple were both males fighting over territory. Well, it worked sort of. The aggressive one started bullying on all other three now removing the pressure from only one poor angel. To make the Bully behave, I quarantined him in a breeding net for two days, then set him free again.

Okay, now for the fun part. The quarantine worked, bully slowed down a bit. He still annoys the others but not as aggressively. And later, I started seeing this kissing between bully and another smaller angel. Although it is significantly smaller, it exchanged the pushing and what looks like kissing with bully. That must be flirting as bully is bigger and stronger, yet he took it easy with his mate. This is fun :)

mooch4056

AC Members
Feb 1, 2008
Yesterday I noticed that my two angelfish seemed to be kissing. They had their mouths stuck together, and they were pulling away from each other but still holding on. It looked like they were trying to kill each other, so I knew then that they probably wont kissing. They separated and then started charging at each other and biting each other. This went on for about 10 minutes!! When I turned the fish tank light on they stopped, and they haven't done it since. Has anyone else ever witnessed this odd behavior?

I have three angles in a 55. They do that all they time over territory. Thye use to lip lock before the couple paired off. really it has settled down a lot and the third angel who doesnt have a female partner stays away from them for the most part. Angles do better in larger groups from my understanding. Mine dont do any physical harm to each other and at times they all seem to get a long. But as stated above by others... its typical angel behavior. They are very peaceful fish when other angles arnt present. But my 3 angles seem to have worked out there territoy issues.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I had two angels, one of them started bullying on the other. Trying to resolve the issue I brought another two assuming the first couple were both males fighting over territory. Well, it worked sort of. The aggressive one started bullying on all other three now removing the pressure from only one poor angel. To make the Bully behave, I quarantined him in a breeding net for two days, then set him free again.

Okay, now for the fun part. The quarantine worked, bully slowed down a bit. He still annoys the others but not as aggressively. And later, I started seeing this kissing between bully and another smaller angel. Although it is significantly smaller, it exchanged the pushing and what looks like kissing with bully. That must be flirting as bully is bigger and stronger, yet he took it easy with his mate. This is fun :)
you may have the beginning of a pair bond forming

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store